Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:28:27 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: 75 MPH - unusual?
Comments: To: Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>

Look at page 35.8 of the latest version of the Bentley. DK trannys have 4.57, tallest of the r+p combos sold in North America.

Your tach, speedo, and/or memory must be off. Plugging in the numbers for an air-cooled DK tranny in 4th gear shows rpms much higher than you recall at 70/75 mph. You need to know the 'tire actual revs per mile' of your tires to precisely solve the equation but a sample of some values will give a range way outside of your 3100/70mph and 3300/75mph.

engine rpm x 60min divided by (.85 x 4.57) = axle revs per hour ....( in .85 4th gear for DK with 4.57 r+p)

Assume 810 revs/mile of 185R14 tires. 3300 x 60 divided by 3.88 = 51032 axle revs/hour, divided by 810 rev/mile = 63.0 mph at 3300 rpm 3100 x 60 divided by 3.88 = 47398 axle revs/hour, divided by 810 rev/mile = 59.2 mph at 3100 rpm

Larger 27x8.5x14 tires are about 780 revs/mile (BFG specs), so these give 65.4 mph at 3300 rpm, 61.5 mph at 3100 rpm.

Mark

Stan Wilder wrote: > > I was trying to look throug the Bentleys to discover te gear ratios and > although I've found mineTranny type 91. at .85 final drive, that is 4the > gear and not the ring gear ratio. > 806 revs per mile on the spedo, 185x14 Agilis Tries. > Tranny type 91. > I haven't sat down to calculate an rpm at 70 MPH, not knowing the actual > diameter of the tire. > > Final drive on a ACW code type 091/1 is 4.83 > Final drive on a DX (diesel 5 Speed) is 5.428, also see 5.43 > Final drive on a DU Type 091/1 is 4.86 > Final drive on a ABD Type 091/1 is 4.83 > Fourth gear on a DK is type 91 is .85 but I don't find a final drive > number. > > My Bentleys door stop has let me down again. > > Stan Wilder >