Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:03:46 -0600
From:         "Morrell, Edward" <Edward_Morrell@JDEDWARDS.COM>
Subject:      Towing 90 Vanagon Auto w/Tow Dolly

OK, I will admit the need to respond, although it might be redundant for many. I had a personal experience a few years back with towing my '90 Vanagon on a dolly with rear wheels up and fronts down. Even with steering wheel locked and tied (uncase lock disengaged), at about 65mph behind a full-size Ford sedan (ok, too fast, I know), I lost control. The Vanagon swayed and spun me around 270 degrees and ended up in a ditch. Good news, generally, for me on this, as no damage (van did not tip!), no injury, (oncoming cars on the 2-lane saw what was happening), and I went to front wheels up on the dolly and had good success. My advice, NEVER use a tow dolly with front wheels down. Natural play in the steering system can EASILY render the car unstable, even with good weight distribution. As far as the tranny, can't help there.

Regards, Ed Morrell '91 Carat 48K Red '90 Carat 100K White '90 Vanagon 170K Blue Patriotic German Car Owner

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:25:32 -0400 From: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET> Subject: Re: Towing 90 Vanagon Auto w/Tow Dolly

So what type of motor home? I am on my second one. I sometimes tow my 87 Syncro Camper to have the best of both worlds. The automatic should not be towed long distances since some of the bearings will run dry causing significant damage. It can be towed with the rear wheels on a dolly but you must be careful with weight distribution and locking the front wheels. Surge brakes when working properly will not drag on normal down hill runs. Most are designed to work at up to a 7% grade before they will actuate. A damper of some type is usually used to allow down hill operation. If you do use a dolly with the rear wheels, make sure you get one with a swivel bed or steering axles. This will help make turns with out having to drag the van sideways. Also make sure your motor home has the capacity to tow the van. Many are only rated to pull 3,500 lbs. This is due chassis extensions. Hope this helps.

Dennis 1999 Tropi-Cal 33.5 feet with slide out Triton V-10 Gas Guzz