Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:56:04 -0400
From:         "Fitz-Randolph, Douglas" <Doug@BEACONMARKETING.NET>
Subject:      Re: SA Trailer Hitch

Not to belabor this, but...

I just read Ron's post about the "typical" experience with the SA trailer hitch, and I'd just like to say that I'M NOT A MORON. No, I'll admit it did not take two entire days - it probably took 8 hours spread over two days.

Brackets: There were indeed two sets of angle brackets - that would mean there were 8 different mounting options... (2 brackets) * (this-way-or-that-way) * (this-side-or-that-side) ...Not one of them worked. I tried most of them to be sure. The closest would have left my bumper about an inch higher than it should be, and about an inch too far from the body. It isn't that I didn't take the time to work it out or that I needed instructions - which- ever bracket I was supposed to be using was simply not made correctly. In the end, I cut off the long section of two of the brackets with a hacksaw, bent them to shape, and drilled holes where they should be. Add 45 minutes downtime for this since my cordless drill's battery didn't do too well drilling 1/2" holes in 3/8" steel.

Captive nuts and cages: They were so far off I was n-e-v-e-r able to engage the last two bolts - the two farthest toward the front of the van. The cages were off by at least 1/2 inch. Rather than drill a new hole in the frame and possible give rust a place to start, I just left them off. The remaining four would not thread without significant "reshaping" of the retaining cages. There were probably other ways around this, but I went out Saturday afternoon expecting this to be a 1-hour bolt-on job - who would have suspected? - and by the time the mosquitoes drove me inside I was wicked steamed and in no mood to be creative.

With the exception of "just removing 8 bolts" from the manifold when replacing my exhaust system, I think the hitch experience was the most frustratingly miscalculated time estimate I have yet made. In retrospect I should have sent it back, but I just wanted to get it over with. Proceed with caution!