Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Aug 2001 14:25:26 -0600
From:         Zoran Mladen <zmladen@AVOLENT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Having Vanagon electrical problems?
Comments: To: "WarmerWagen@AOL.COM" <WarmerWagen@AOL.COM>

The other less painful alternative is to coat all connectors with grease, preventing them from rusting. And if you are set on getting rid of the steel connectors, buy some brass ones and just replace the connectors.

-----Original Message----- From: Robert Keezer [mailto:WarmerWagen@AOL.COM] Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 1:19 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Having Vanagon electrical problems?

Hello list- I made a "shocking" discovery a few days ago-no, I wasn't zapped by 12 volts.

I was trying to trace down why my engine was hard to start, and my batteries

wouldn't charge up, a problem that was getting worse over the last several months. The batteries were good, the alternator OK, the grounds(earths) good.

I had to switch the ignition on/off several times to get the starter to activate. Finally, it just wouldn't start.

At first, I thought it was the starter. I removed it, and saw that the 4 gauge battery cable end connector was rusted. Rusted? But these are always made of brass, aren't they? I touched a magnet to it and the connector was attracted to it.

I removed all the cables I installed for the dual battery system I installed

4 years ago, and found every end connector made of steel, and rusty.

I have installed several dual battery systems for friends and have made up my own cables with expensive copper connectors and cable, which is available everywhere. I didn't know steel connectors were sold. They have been for some time, I found out.

I checked my local flaps-and yes, there is the answer-like almost everything

else for sale there, half of it is from China. So the source I found for these cables is China. There may be other countries of origin also.

Not everything from China is poor quality, but there is a big piracy market there and imitation look-alike products are now in the automotive industry here.

Ponder if any of it should make it into the military or space program!

Hope I have helped someone with rusted cable ends-has anyone made this discovery before?

Peas-

Robert 1982 Westfalia Seattle

The magnitude of this problem could become immense, because unsuspecting customers, who have been buying the real thing like me for years, are buying

this stuff and putting it into your their cars. The steel ends look lie the tinned copper ends. I haven't checked to see if any labeling identifies the metal used in these cables, so this is why I thought it was important enough

to advise the list. You can easily find out with a magnet if you have the "imitation" connectors, and if you have them, you should replace the cables with ones that have copper ends. The steel ones will inevitably rust, ruining your vacation or worse. For me it was the vacation-I was stranded several times-all power vanished. then it

would return.

In all my years of vehicle ownership I have never heard of let alone seen a steel battery cable end, or any 12 volt electrical connector. The industry standard has been copper, brass, as long as I have been working on vehicles.

Where are these cheap ready made in various lengths at your local FLAPS coming from?

Industry standard now has become a relative term. It depends on who's standards, or lack of, we are talking about.

[text/html]