Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:19:44 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      $89 Stainless Steel 2.1L Connecting Pipes - and OEM German 1.9L
              mufflers (not stainless)

A while back I announced that I had received my first shipment of European made Stainless Steel connecting pipes for '86-91 Vanagons (2wd and Syncro). This is the pipe that connects to the catalytic converter. However. at the time, I only had a small first shipment, so I was only able to offer it as part of my Stainless Steel Exhaust System, but could not sell it separately.

I have now received my full shipment, so I can offer it "a la carte" as well. Best of all, the price is only $89 - just $20 more than the mild steel version, for Stainless! For this small difference in price it's well worth it. These are very nice quality, from a factory that makes high-end stainless Porsche exhaust parts.

I should perhaps note, since someone mentioned it previously regarding the Stebro version, that mine also does not have a port for the exhaust analyzer like the original VW pipe had. (Stebro does offer as an option a version that adds a port for $165; also, my mild steel version has a port.) Frankly I did not think this was worth the additional expense. Many vehicles do not come factory-equipped with such a port to begin with. If for some reason a mechanic needs to create such a port, it is common to simply drill a very small hole and insert a small wand into it for testing, then seal the hole with a tiny screw. (Note that such a port is not needed for emissions testing, which is done via the exhaust pipe.) So I have no plans to offer a version with the port due to the additional cost.

In other news, I have imported a quantity of genuine German Leistritz mufflers for '83-85 watercooled vans. (No, not stainless, sorry.) By bypassing the US distributor I was able to get them for the same cost as the aftermarket Ansa and Bosal ones that I previously offered. So as long as supplies hold out, I am now shipping OE German 1.9L mufflers for the same price that I was previously charging for aftermarket.

Part numbers: Stainless '85-91 connecting pipe: 025 251 147BMS $89.95 Complete Stainless 86-91 exhaust system (non-syncro; stainless pipes, stainless-bodied muffler, cast iron collector pipe, mild steel tailpipe): 025 251 053KS $629 (Note: only 6 kits left in stock, then backordered for 2-3 months) 83-85 German Leistritz Muffler: 025 251 053E $76 Complete (non-stainless) '83-85 exhaust system including above muffler: 025 251 053EK $285 Prices include listmember discount, which you must ask for when ordering. Complete systems do not include cat converter.

As always, you can order toll-free or via the website.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders Only: 1-866-BUS-DEPOT