Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Aug 2001 00:15:49 -1000
From:         Mick Kalber <hotlava@INTERPAC.NET>
Subject:      Big Island of Hawaii Camping

> How much Vanagon camping is there to do in Hawaii? The island is only > so big; do you ferry the camper to other islands for variety?

Actually this island is unbelievably big... about the size of Connecticut. Granted a small state, but an extremely large island. We have about 400 miles of coastline and 11 out of 13 of the world's geographical areas... everything from semi-arid desert, to rainforests, snow-capped mountains, waterfalls, active volcanoes, black, white, brown, and green sand beaches and much, much more. It is truly mind blowing.

I've lived here for almost twenty years and still have not camped at all the places there are here. The variety is astounding. Syncros are strongly advised though because many camping spots are inaccessible without them. Our favorites are Waipio Valley near Honoka'a, Makalawena and Kiholo Bay in South Kohala. Tomorrow we are camping at Pine Trees just north of Kailua-Kona.

No need to travel to other islands... this place has it all. We have discussed doing other islands, but it costs $150 to ship the van each way (no matter what island you ship to), they will not let you ship ANYTHING in the van except a spare tire and a jack (meaning you have to take all your camping gear with you on the plane (another $60 each way per person) or buy it when you arrive and haul it back or sell it there. And you have to do without your bus for 3-5 days on each end of the trip. Two people, $540 roundtrip just for transportation. But no gas, of course. Kinda steep unless you are going to stay for three or four weeks. Frankly I can't afford to be away that long. It's a nice idea, but...

I'm working on photos from the places we camp... I'll try to post them and give a link to the list. This is a fabulous place to live, work and camp... perfect place for a syncro... that's why we got one. But we do get jealous sometimes when we listen to all the great places you guys on the Really Big Island get to go to... especially the get togethers... we've never even met anyone on the list yet and we've been on over a year. I can count on one hand the number of listees from Hawaii... and I only know of three from this island including myself. I've met Shawn, but never have seen Sash. Oh, well, someday we'll have a bus over there too and we'll be able to come over nd join you guys. Why don't some of you come see us sometime?

Aloha,

Mick Kalber 89 Syncro Westy "Daddeo" Tropical Visions Video, Inc. 62 Halaulani Place Hilo, Hawaii 96720 808-935-5557 808-935-0066 (fax) hotlava@interpac.net www.volcanoscapes.com

----- Original Message ----- From: DaveC <voicebox@dnai.com> To: Mick Kalber <hotlava@INTERPAC.NET>; <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 6:52 PM Subject: Re: Muirs Idiot Guide Equivalent??