Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:57:34 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: F/Friday: New Vanagon Engine Idea: JB Weld Block & Heads
Comments: To: marklaura@HOUSTON.RR.COM

After 11 years of ownership of an MG Midget I can endorse JB weld for intake manifold repairs, plastic parts repairs, casting your own little spacers etc. The brilliant engineers that ran the steel brake lines directly under the battery on the Midget have killed more than a few people, in an emergency I used JB weld to fill some pin holes in my brake line long enough to get me home. JB is great for rebuilding the instrument carrier box in Vanagons, just make some dams out of clear package sealing tape fill them with JB and later drill them for the screws and reinstall your spedo and clock/tach.

Stan Wilder 83 Westfalia

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:04:20 -0500 Mark & Laura Magee <marklaura@HOUSTON.RR.COM> writes: > Volks, > I was thinking about all the Vanagon engine swap-out mania and > wondered > if we shouldn't consider just casting our own blocks for listmembers > made purely of JB weld. I'm not sure of the feasibility of casting > cranks, con-rods pistons and valves of JB weld, but this could be > experimented with over time. So many volks have had such good > success > repairing their damaged heads with JB Weld, I believe that a block > and > heads cast of JB Weld would be the ultimate in light weight and > durability. > Advantages: > 1) Corrosion resistance par excellence > 2) Bulk purchase would minimize cost: we could use 4 oz. tubes but > would > risk developing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome > 3) Light weight, lighter than aluminum > 4) You can make a casting from your old WB block using possibly > plaster > of paris or maybe concrete and wax paper.: or GO CRAZY and ask your > neighbor if you can borrow his Boxter's power plant for a weekend > and > pirate the latest Teutonic thoughts on torque vs. HP. The kids would > really enjoy a plaster party done on a greasy motor! (I am not > advocating power plant piracy here, we would have to investigate if > we > could make these JB Weld clones 'licensed' clones.) > 5) Easily repaired with JB Weld! > Bonus: I think that Glock handguns are actually made of JB Weld, so > theoretically you could easily smuggle these blocks/heads through > customs or in your bags for a flight without setting off the dinger! > Those things are on on to aluminum today! I would -not- however, > advocate smuggling of these new engines. Nonetheless if there became > a > serious need for them for the VW brethren, in light of world-wide > shortage of VOA H2O-boxer longblocks ................ > > Mark Magee 90 Carat 73K Das Boot > Kemah TX USA 01 Windstar (Company SpamCan) > John 14:6 94 Coachmen 32' > Diesel > Pusher

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.