Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Sep 2001 16:53:40 +0200
From:         OOMKES Robin <robin.oomkes@SWIFT.COM>
Subject:      Re: 5 speed transmission
Comments: cc: Terry Tan <terrytan@EARTHLINK.NET>

Terry,

The original sketch for the VW Transporter was made on a napkin by Dutch VW Importer Ben Pon, after a visit to the Wolfsburg factory where he had seen a kind of open in-house lorry built on a stretched beetle platform. I think this was in 1948 or so. 2 or 3 years after the first sketch, the first splitty hit the road with a 1200 cc beetle engine.

Ben Pon was the first VW distributor outside Germany, and he is also credited with sending the first shipment of bugs to the States.

Regards, Robin The Netherlands