Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Sep 2001 14:24:54 -0400
From:         Walt Spak <wnsopc3@3RDM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oranage coolant leak?
Comments: To: Malcolm Stebbins <MSTEBBIN@MSVU1.MSVU.CA>

Malcolm & list,

Let me start by saying that I do have a really good flame suit.

I did some major work on my 91 GL about a year & 1/2 ago including a Boston Bob engine. I also replaced: all of the hoses thermostat housing thermostat plastic water distribution piece on right expansion tank all metal water pipes all hose clamps w/ OEM clamps from dealer water pump heater core

I charged the system with orange antifreeze (Prestone 5/150 Extended Life). With in the first year, I experienced 2 leaking hoses where they clamp on to metal pipes, a leaking oil cooler, a leaking thermostat housing, and a leaking water pump. I was ready to scrap the bus.

This spring, my friend & I finished restoring a 1955 Lancia Spider ( I did the engine, he the rest). Since it has an aluminum engine, I filled it with the same Prestone. We fought very small leaks for weeks. In the end, we replaced the antifreeze with good old fashion green antifreeze and all of the leaks went away.

Now for the part of this post that may raise some response. I have had heads off of no fewer than 5 Vanagons (3 - 1.9 , 2 - 2.1) and all have had green anti freeze. I have seen the same situation in every one. In every place that the antifreeze touches the aluminum, there is no corrosion. None. The only place that the corrosion exists, is under the rubber head gasket. I think that the antifreeze concerns lead from the belief that the coolant works it's way under the gasket and causes the corrosion. I don't believe it. I think that the heat / cool cycles cause condensation to form under the gasket, which causes the corrosion. Antifreeze contains anti-corrosion additives, condensation does not. Use it locally for short trips with long periods of sitting in between and I expect the corrosion will happen sooner.

My conclusions are that the orange anti freeze does find leaks easier than the green and is not necessary. I do think that frequent changing of anti freeze is helpful over the long haul because the anti corrosion additives will break down over time.

I must add that I have no experience with the VW antifreeze at all.

Walt Spak Pittsburgh, PA. wnsopc3@3rdm.net ----- Original Message ----- From: Malcolm Stebbins <MSTEBBIN@MSVU1.MSVU.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 12:21 PM Subject: Oranage coolant leak?