Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Sep 2001 15:29:52 -1000
From:         Mick Kalber <hotlava@INTERPAC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: bus fire

Speaking of bus fires...

I have never had this happen in any of my vangaons (thank god), but I had a 76 loaf that had the fuel lines above the engine. one day I started her up (she always started up immediately) and no go. several key turns later resulted in snap crackle pop from the engine compartment... and it wasn't rice krispies. to my horror I had to sit back and watch my engine burn up. fortunately a fire extinguisher from a nearby restaurant was acquired to contain the damage to the engine compartment, but it was one of the saddest days of my vw life. Left the engine intact, but melted a lot of stuff, including all the plastic pieces and the brain box, etc.

good news was that insurance paid for all the repairs and, since we converted from fuel injection to a single cabuerator, it gave me enough money left over for a beautiful new paint job (from that ugly puke green color... flame suit on). I chose an old Porsche color called "Blood Red." looked orange in some light and red in others... very cool. all's well that ends well I guess, but sure taught me to check the fuel lines and carry an extinguisher or two.

aloha from the big island of hawaii

mick 89 syncro westy hilo, hawaii

ps... one day not long ago I saw a guy with a puke green colored loaf... I mentioned to him that I thought it was one of vs's ugliest color choices, fully expecting him to agree with me and lament the color or his bus... instead he informed me that he had just had his bus painted... that's right, the same puke green color!!! Doh! Different strokes for different folks, eh?