Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Sep 2001 08:20:15 +0200
From:         Jutta & Christian Knust <knust-net@GMX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Power Steering questions!

Hi guys,

and thanks to George,Bob and Joel and all others for the detailed answers - I do appreciate that you took the time! Well, once I figured from Joel's message that I'd have to pull back the rubber thingies from the tie-rods, I did so - and will remember the oil shower for a coupla days (Bob's warning came too late ;-). Sometimes I am just stupid, but as Calvin and Hobbes figured some years ago: Scientific Progress Goes "BOINK".

Well, tomorrow I'll start looking for the new steering rack. I decided against a seal kit since this will not take care of the wear and tear of the unit and we plan to keep our Westy for years to come. Bob's hint regarding a check of all front joints and bushings to safe the money for a second alignment is very insightful.

I have called AutoZone for a quote, since they've been mentioned in the archive a couple of times. They ask about 220 bucks plus 150 as deposit: I forgot to ask whether it's the long or the short rack. Murray's has two different suppliers - one price is 650 $, the other about 260$. I'll give the BusDepot a call tomorrow and will check as well with Parts Place up here in Auburn Hills, MI as well. Since I am on vacation this week the first thing will be to bolt a hitch on my wife's Blazer - we planned to take the catamaran to the lakes a couple of times this week but the hitch is on the Westy (one of these "Class I - bolt to the towing loops - hitches" which absolutely does the trick for a 300 pound boat/trailer combination.). Again, thanks a lot and have a great week. Cheers Chris

-- GMX - Die Kommunikationsplattform im Internet. http://www.gmx.net