Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Sep 2001 09:54:02 -0500
From:         Mark Ingalls <ingalls_mark@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: louisville leaker
Comments: To: Kim G <ppg1@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hi,

For the water pump replacement you will need the gasket for the upper and maybe lower coolant cross-over pipes. Also on the pump side of the upper coolant cross-over pipe is a o-ring which would be good to replace. These gaskets and o-ring were not included with the water pump I bought from bus depot.

Luckily I had these gaskets and o-ring in the spare parts bag that came with my van.

I RTV'ed the gaskets and o-rings like it says on Tom Carrington's web-site, just because this is such a big job and I didn't want any leaks.

Also it would be a good time to replace the 2 short pieces of hose that you will see. I had only bought one of the replacement hoses from BD so I had to go to NAPA to find something to use for the second one. NAPA 1" hose is a PERFECT match for the inner diameter of the stock hose I bought from Bus depot.. Plus the BD hose was $6 while enough hose for both from NAPA was less than $1. I measured a 1" Gates brand hose at a different parts house and it was a little bigger ID .

I soaked all the bolts and nuts I would have to loosen with Kroil penetrating oil.

I replaced the thermostat while I was there also with the stock german replacement from BD. It runs a little hotter than the one that was in there, but that should make the van heater output a little warmer in winter.

This is a big job, I can't imagine head replacement would be too much worse.

IMHO it is suited for a person with a little above average mechanical abilities, and at least a full day to do it.

Sincerely, Mark Ingalls 85 GL Nebraska City,NE