Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:55:14 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <derekdrew@RCN.COM>
Subject:      Factory Original Michelin MXLs For Sale

I have six factory original MXLs available for sale. If you have a set of these but are missing one or want an extra one in case one of yours goes bad, you might one to get one of these from me because it has been out of production for years and you cannot buy these at the tire store any more. So here is a chance to stock up or fill out your stock to be 100% the same tire.

These are the actual tires that were fitted on my 87 and 90 Syncro Westfalia as the vehicle came from the dealer, and they have been sitting in storage because I quickly took them off to install BF Goodrich tires.

Two of the tires seem basically brand new while the others generally seem about 1/2 worn except the last one, which is 1/2 worn but it is worn extra along one edge so it has very little value.

These are the 205/70R 14 REINFORCED tires.

The condition of the six are as follows:

My Estimate Of Value

Tire #1: New, Tread Depth 0.8mm 100%

Tire #2: New, Tread Depth 0.7mm 90%

Tire #3: 1/2 Used* Tread Depth 0.4mm 25%**

Tire #4: ~1/2 Used* Tread Depth 0.35mm 22%**

Tire #5: ~1/2 Used* Tread Depth 0.35mm 22%**

Tire #6: ~1/2 Used* Tread Depth 0.25mm 10%**

*Rubber shows micro aging cracks in the sidewall due to not being used for a long time.

**Value reduced additionally to account for the extra cost of installing, balancing, and eventually dismounting a 1/2 used tire

Estimated tread depths are approximate as I obtained these readings with a metal ruler while mosquitos were biting me. But I believe the numbers are pretty accurate nonetheless.

If you want one or more of these tires let me know what you want to pay for it in total (that is, including the shipping cost) by email. I will include the cost of shipping to you in estimating what you say, so be sure to include the zip code where you would pick the tires up. If you can pick the tires up in Washington DC, New York City, or somewhere in between, put 20015 in your email. This is much easier for me than shipping. Indicate what you would pay for *each* of the tires listed above separately.

All the tires look faded, as though they have not been cleaned or had armor all on them in a zillion years and note what I said above about some micro cracks in the side of some of the tires due to age. (The cracks look like surface cracks, but they are definitely noticeable when you flex the tire uninflated and indiate aging of the rubber.) The tread of *all* the tires looks pretty good with the exception of Tire #6, which looks good but that tire is worn on one side. _______________________________________________ Derek Drew CEO & Co-Founder http://www.ConsumerSearch.com/ New York, NY =========================== "Best Expert Review Site" for product reviews on the Internet Jan. 2001, PC World Magazine ========================== derekdrew@rcn.com 212-580-6486

Alternate numbers for the industrious phone caller that wants to try every avenue: 212-580-6486 (best), 917-848-6425 (cell); 202-966-7907 (Work), 212-580-4459 (Home), 202-966-0938 (Home), 978-359-8533 (fax [efax]), 212-269-3188 (New York Seaport office).