Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Sep 2001 13:32:44 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: VALVE COVER ADHESIVE
Comments: To: "Greenamyer, William L" <William.Greenamyer@WEST.BOEING.COM>

The covers may be bent. The PO evidently pried on the edge of one of mine. I just got new covers and bails from Bus Depot. The covers were $3.95 each and the bails were $1.75! Dirt cheap. Why fool with old, rusty stuff. You shouldn't need any adhesive if everything's straight. I also re-adjusted my valves Friday. I went from zero-lash to about 1/2 turn. All seems quiet and it still runs great. I did notice the initial start-up after going to 1/2 turn was not encouraging. It stalled a few times. After a 10 minute test run, the lifters seemed to adjust as they are supposed to do. Cold starts are good again and the lifters have been quiet so far.

Jay '85 Westy--The Hindenburg

"Greenamyer, William L" <William.Greenamyer@WEST.BOEING.COM> on 09/04/2001 12:25:17 PM

Please respond to "Greenamyer, William L" <William.Greenamyer@WEST.BOEING.COM>

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: (bcc: Jay L Snyder/AE/DuPont) Subject: VALVE COVER ADHESIVE

Did an adjustment on the valves this weekend. Some of it went fine. Seems like some of the valves don't move the way I think they should or there is some spots on the adjusting screws or something. Haven't figured it out yet. Also, it seems that the last people to rebuild the engine appear to have glued the valve cover gaskets into the covers. Is there some adhesive that is used for this? I understood that you didn't use or need adhesive. Just trying to find out what kind of a mess I might be getting myself into if I start pulling out the gaskets and find that I am going to end up having to glue the new ones in to fix scratches or something in the present valve covers. Anyone got any ideas? William