Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Sep 2001 14:56:43 -0400
From:         dieselwesty <dieselwesty@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: [DIESEL] Reinhardt Lives!!  (well, almost ...) {Longish}
Comments: To: Alan.Conway@morganstanley.com, Nate Wall <NWall@envasns.org>
Comments: cc: echomhs@gis.net, diesel@audifans.com

In doing my engine conversion I to had a hole in my original steel pipe at the engine compartment side. When I read in the Bentley what was involved in making the swap to plastic pipes, I did not want to go that route. With the motor and trans out of van, it made things easy to work on this area. I cut about a foot of the end of the upper pipe. It rusted where the pipe is hose clamped to the holding bracket at the top of the engine cowling. I went to a marine/auto parts store and got a 1 foot piece of 1 1/4 inch rubber hose used for cooling diesel engines in boats. It had just the right inner dimension to fit snuggly over the outside of the steel coolant pipe that I just cut off and a piece of threaded brass pipe about 6 inches long that I was going to use to join the new piece of hose to my rubber coolant hose going to the head.

I have filled the van with coolant, and will start her up for the first time tomorrow. We will see how this fix holds up under pressure....................

Bryan Belman Pt. Pleasant, NJ 1990 Audi 200 Turbo (Money Pit) 1982 Westy 1.9l NA (In process) 1970 Type1 Std. Beetle (This one is done) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan Conway" <Alan.Conway@morganstanley.com> To: "Nate Wall" <NWall@envasns.org> Cc: <Vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM>; <echomhs@gis.net>; <diesel@audifans.com> Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 1:28 PM Subject: Re: [DIESEL] Reinhardt Lives!! (well, almost ...) {Longish}