Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Sep 2001 22:45:52 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: busdepot and part numbers

> When you order a part from busdepot that is "not" in its data > base by requesting it in the message window, the new > part number now becomes part of the data base and > makes it easier for the next person to order. > When ordering from busdepot it helps everyone to take > the time to order that obscure part that has worn out > in your vanagon because you are not the only one who > is going to have to change that odd part that > otherwise means a trip to the dealer.

Thanks for sharing that info. Yes, that is a function of the new software we installed in May. When you order a part from us that is not in our database, and we enter the part number in-store to process your order, it then gets automatically added to our online database the next time we update it (usually about once a week). Until May, the online database and our onsite one were two completely separate files, which was very inconvenient. It meant that if there was a change in an item (price, availability, description, etc.), even if we updated our onsite files, the website didn't reflect the change until Jerry had time to manually go in and change it too. Now they synchronize to eachother automatically about once a week, so the website product information is much more up-to-date.

Conversely, orders placed on the website now automatically get downloaded into our onsite software daily at about 3-4 pm, with minimal user intervention, whereas before we manually had to re-enter the data because again the onsite and website software couldn't talk to eachother. This new intergrated ordering system means less error potential in filling your order. Incidentally, remembering that website cut-off time may be helpful when you order; especially if you are requesting rush service; best to place your online order before 3 pm Eastern time for fastest processing (or around 4:30 if ordering by phone.)

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders Only: 1-866-BUS-DEPOT