Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Sep 2001 21:18:05 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      some westy mods/accesories
Comments: cc: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

Here are a few very modest modifications/additions I¹ve made to my Œ82 Westy recently.

- installed a pop top skylight. Got a clear plastic skylight from Trevor, The SkyLight Guy, scrounged the seal and lift mechanism from a wrecker and ended up making the hinges myself from some stainless channel (heating, bashing and grinding). The vent made a big difference in the amount of condensation formed on the pop top roof when sleeping on the upper bunk.

-For the last year or so I have been using 2 small (size of a box of matches) bike lights as reading lights for the upper bunk. They are ³Planet Bike² brand, single white LED units. They emit a sexy blue-tinged white light, narrow focused beam, that is quite good for reading by. They are attached to the transverse metal tube of the pop-top lifting mechanism as if it were a bike¹s handlebars. I am going to buy at least 2 more, they are a great buy at around Can$9.00 each.

-Found a few more uses for the strong rare earth magnets I purchased from Lee Valley Tools. Great for holding curtains back, or the front windshield curtain in place, slip one into a box of kleenex to secure it to the underside the storage trough, glued one to the back of a Planet Bike 3 LED (yellow) bike light - for a positionable source of ³battle stations lighting² that is surprisingly useful.

-Bought a cheap foam mattress pad from Zellers, a double, needed only minor trimming to fit the upper bunk. Wavy, waffle pattern, only about 1.5² thick, but makes the bunk much more comfy. Stores folded up behind the folded upper bunk.

-Anyone else hate the screeching noise generated by the metal on metal contact of the hinge unit of the upper bunk when the bed is unfolded? I cut a narrow strip of 1.5mm thick telfon and using one of the screws attaching the hinge the van, I installed it on the wear surface of the hinge (both left and right hinges). Now the bunk folds out smoothly and quietly.

-Took a tip from Phaedra Savage and bought some pile material (heavy weight) to go over the mattress pad. Got (not that I had much choice) some in a chocolate colour that matches the brown trim on the westy cabinets. Luxury!

-Second year of using a small (30 A/hr.) gel cell lead acid battery as an aux. Mounted beside the main battery and in front of the right hand side tail light. Works perfectly well for our needs.

-New no-see-um netting in canvas. My wife followed Dave Baker¹s posted instructions and had no problems instlling the new mesh. We had already glued no-see-um netting over the existing netting (no-butterfly netting) that used for the rear hatch. Now have to make a screen for the sliding door.

-Second or third the motion to endorse brighter (halogen) back-up lights. However I have mixed feelings about the back-up beeper that I installed (was a cheap unit given to me, originally supposed to mount on rear license plate). Sometimes you wish you could shut it off.

Couple of old mods I still find useful:

-12V cpu fan in the fridge, my version of the battery powered ³Fridgemate². -my H4 headlights with 100/80 watt bulbs (upgraded wiring, relys etc) -250 watt halogen spot (aviation, have it on good authority that this paarticluar model us sed to illuminate the tail fin of 747s etc) in a nice old heavy chrome housing (lucky Sally Ann find, 4 of them, 2 had red bulbs installed). Mounted above the front bumper using a simple bent aluminium piece and the hidden 3 holes on the bumper ³subframe². Also separately fused, powered and relayed.

Alistair

albell@uvic.ca '82 Westy, diesel=>I4 gas

/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign \ / No HTML/RTF in email X No Word docs in email / \ Respect Open Standards!