Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Sep 2001 07:11:58 -0700
From:         Bob Thompson <bobthom@PREMIER1.NET>
Subject:      advice needed on a purchase

Hi, There!

I'm Bob Thompson, in Marysville, WA. I'm new to this list, and I'm considering buying a Westy, for the first time. I've owned an old VW bus more years ago than I care to admit, but nothing recently. I need some advice on making a decision on a purchase.

I'm currently looking at 2 of them. One is a 1984, water cooled engine, body and canvas are in good condition. I didn't notice any leaks under the engine. Brakes need work. 40,000 miles on a rebuilt engine. I've seen this one and have driven it. Runs good. It has the backup electrical system and a propane heater. When I went to see it, I was told by the owner that everything worked OK, but when we checked out stuff, neither the water pump (for the sink, not the engine), nor the fridge worked (I didn't try running the fridge on propane, only AC and DC). None of the led indicators inside came one either. The owner is currently asking $5,500 for it, but is willing to come down because of the brakes, and he's trying to find out what's wrong with the fridge and pump. We think it might be fuses since there were 2 fuses blown, #12 and I think the other one was #8.

I haven't seen the other one yet, only talked to the owner on the phone. I'll be looking at it tonight. It is a 1977, aircooled, 20,000 miles on a rebuilt engine. The interior has been completely restored by Bow Wow. No stove or heater, and and the water pump for the sink is strictly manual. The owner is currently asking $4,500 for it.

My wife likes the idea of the second one because of the lower miles on the engine, and she thinks it may become a collecter's item or classic if we can hang on to it. I'm thinking of the first one for the functionality.

If anyone has any opinion on which one would be the better deal, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bob Thompson

Bob === I will not cease from Mental Fight Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand Till we have built Jerusalem In England's green and pleasant land.

Bob Thompson bobthom@premier1.net