Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Sep 2001 14:12:23 EDT
From:         Chris W <Madinvestor2001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Help Please; engine bogging loseing compression and shutting off

[ I apologize in advance for the lengthy post ]

Hello all,

I could really use some help please. For three years my 87 syncro has been running relatively "trouble free" while living in California, however the minute I return to the Northeast coast I began having problems... To the point, my syncro is experiencing loss of compression (as if someone grabbed the fuel line and squeezed it) followed by the engine shutting off. Once it shuts off and I come to a stop it is very very hard to get it started again. About two years ago my syncro experienced the "Vanagon Syndrome," to which I bought the "wiring patch" for the AFM and the problem was resolved. However now I am experiencing the same symptoms as the "Vanagon Syndrome" (hesitation at speed) coupled with the Rpm's dropping to zero, the engine turning off and not able to turn back on for up to 10 to 15 minutes. This problem has escalated to point that my Vanagon is now UN-drivable, leaving me stranded on Martha's Vineyard Island (there are worse places to be stranded as I have experienced in the past...) . The mechanics at the local VW shop here on the island (Bug & Bus) and I have tried numerous possible solutions over the past week. We have: -installed a new fuel filter, temperature sensor, rotor cuffs, and other basic tune up stuff... -installed a new Air Flow Meter -cut open and checked the wiring going to the fuel injection (tube containing the wiring from the AFM to the fuel injection) -tried driving her with the AFM "Vanagon Syndrome" wiring harness on and with it off (hooking the plug directly to the AFM and then through the wiring harness). In both cases the problem still exists... -I have swore at it and threatened it... -I have apologized and promised to be nice... NOTHING...

To be more precise; I will be driving along and she will bog a little then the Rpm's will drop completely, even after pressing the gas peddle down the Rpm's will remain dropped (as if they had fallen asleep) the engine will remain on for a couple seconds and then it will cut off leaving me rolling to a stop. Sometimes I can turn the engine right back on while at speed (putting the clutch in and then letting it out in a jump start manner), but if I come to a stop it will take up to fifteen minutes to turn it on... When I try and restart her it sounds like it is out of gas the "Wa Wa Wa Wa waaaa" sound and nothing, the Rpm's twitch a bit, but the engine won't start. When I finally get it to start it starts for two seconds and then shuts off again. Then it takes me another five to ten minutes to start her, and when she starts I have to "gun it" and take off in order to move for more than a couple hundred of feet. The problem started in June with a slight bogging while driving along (usually right after starting her up), again (like the "Vanagon Syndrome") it felt as if someone had squeezed the fuel line and then let go... The problem continued to escalate all summer until a week ago when it shut off while I was driving at 30mph, and it was difficult to get the engine started. The next day it happened again, however this time I lost all compression i.e., the Rpm's dropped to zero and it was difficult to get the engine started again. Now it is almost completely UN-drivable, except of course when the mechanic tries to drive it and then it drives fine for them...

We here are completely baffled, and I am at my ropes end (my wallet is burning a bit too)... Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you in advance!!!!!

-Chris Wright 1987 Vanagon Syncro GL (my baby) 128,000 miles

[text/html]