Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Sep 2001 12:47:23 -0700
From:         "Scott G. Terry" <sgterry@ENGINEERING.UCSB.EDU>
Subject:      Re: do we have a vacuum leak? (also fuel pressure regulator)
Comments: To: Michael Townsend <townsend@rtp.ericsson.se>

Ahhh, data! Nice job. Contribution to JVV reviewed and accepted.

I'll repost the data I collected from my used fuel pressure regulator (FPR) for comparison:

applied vacuum Michael, new FPR Michael, used FPR Scott, used FPR ("Hg) (psig) (psig) (psig) 15 31 32 29 0 (atmosphere) 38 39 37

The conclusion I would draw is that if one is unsatisfied with their FPR performance (i.e. because it doesn't meet the specs in Bentley) they should think twice before buying a new FPR. In this statistically challenged study of 3 FPRs, an idle manifold vacuum greater than or equal to 15" Hg was required for the FPR to meet the Bentley spec (and one of these FPRs was brand new). Anecdotal evidence from the list suggests that 10-12" Hg is a more typical manifold vacuum at idle for our engines (although Jay Snyder has reported 15" Hg for his engine).

The MityVac tool (a hand-actuated vacuum pump) Michael refers to below is pretty useful for diagnosing engine problems. I bought the model with the gauge (a key feature) from HarborFreightTools for around $50.

Scott Terry '85 Westy "Pearl" Santa Barbara, CA