Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Sep 2001 09:01:47 -0400
From:         Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE>
Subject:      Re: Mercedes Sprinter sighting

Hi,

I have seen two FedEx ones on the road. Last Tuesday, I stopped by the Freightliner dealership in Charlotte NC (exit 41 off of I-85) to look at their demo. They only had the longest wheelbase, hightop cargo version. This is what FedEx has bought 1900 of, according to the salesman. I was dreaming about the shortest wheelbase, standard top, passenger version with seating for 8. They are not available yet, and no pricing is available yet -- should be at least another month. Some positive things about it that I liked are the removable bench seats -- each with its own shoulder belt, the non-carpeted floor, 63" (160cm) high interior, and the general "commercial" feel to the vehicle. I thought the ergonomics in the cab were excellent, as well as the huge Vanagon-like windshield and almost-horizontal steering wheel. You can order passenger airbag, dual slider doors, keyless entry, power windows & locks, 2" receiver hitch, and other niceties individually. Our ballpark guess is that these options would run the cost up to about $30k -- approximately the same as a Eurovan. The salesman said that the fuel efficiency of the medium wheelbase standard top demo (already sold) in his mixed driving was 25 mpg U.S (9.4 L/100km).

Why consider this (ugly{?} thing), someone asked? Well, the typical US van only gets 15 mpg (15.7 L/100km), and has a large turning radius and no road feel. The typical US minivan gets better gas mileage but is too small. The Eurovan is a nice size, but is only availble with the 15 mpg VR6, so there is no fuel efficiency improvement over a US full size van, just the driveability improvements. The Mercedes CDI is the reason to choose the Sprinter because we have no other choice if we want Diesel. The only way to get Diesel in an American van is to get a Ford E250 or E350 with the 7.3L Powerstroke or the Chevy 3500 with the Duramax Diesel (I can't remember the size). Those are just too big for me. If the Eurovan was offered in the US with the V6 TDI, then I'd probably go that route -- but there is no hope of it, unless they choose to bring it over in 2004 with the Passat TDI's again because of the emissions laws. (Speaking of emissions, the Sprinter salesman said that the timing on the Sprinter was retarded a few degrees to comply with US fuel and emission laws). I love my Vanagon, but one of these days it would be nice to have something with decent mileage and a decent towing capability. With no Eurovan TDI in the US, the Mercedes Sprinter is the only game in town -- and that is why I'll keep following it. I think conversion companies could have fun with it, and I hope to see some interesting products come out of their shops -- even if I can't afford it. One interesting thing to note, is that the Sprinter is surprisingly tall. I am 6'2" (1.9m) tall, and standing next to the Sprinter, I could barely reach the gutter on the roof of the Sprinter with my arm raised. That is where the roof of the standard top would be, and it is about 1' (30cm) taller than my Carat. I expect that it is the same height as an American high-top conversion van. That really surprised me. I've not driven one, but I am assuming the driveability has to be loads better than any American van.

It is really a moot point for me, because I don't have the $$$. Maybe in a few years if I am in the market, we will have many more options to choose from. Maybe by then the dealers will support a TDI replacement for my Vanagon! Maybe by then so many consumers will be driving Sprinters that they will become a cliche, and will not satisfy my desire to be different. Who knows.

Michael Townsend 90 Carat Durham NC