Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Sep 2001 19:25:40 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Steering Questions - News
Comments: To: Jutta & Christian Knust <knust-net@GMX.NET>

> The rack was moderately priced with about $240 plus cc give or take, but guy I was > talking to did not know who the remanufacturer was. Maybe I am > somewhat overly cautious, but when I do want to decide between a new/OEM-reman or a > third-party-job on safety-related parts, I would like to know details. A failing > steering is no fun. Well, I guess it's not rocket science to figure out where one > gets this reman rack from, but I could not get BusDepot to make the extra > effort. I am a pretty loyal guy and tend to spend some bucks more > if I know where my money goes to and I do treasure the advice Ron offers here on the list, > but in this case I could not get all information I wanted. I finally settled > for AutoZone.

If you called Customer Service (rather than the toll-free order-desk number), the person you spoke to should have been able to find this out for you if he didn't already know it. My apologies if he didn't make the effort. (On the other hand, if you called the toll-free order desk, you could well have reached a clerk who didn't even know what a steering rack was. :-) If you call Customer Service and can't get the answer you need, you can either ask for Dan, the store manager, or email Jerry at sales@busdepot.com, both of whom are quite knowledgeable about most of the parts. Not everyone in Customer Service is as knowledgable as everyone else, but the least experienced employees are put on the order-desk, not Customer Service. The ones in Customer Service should know how to obtain basic product details like that if they do not know the answer offhand.

Our racks are rebuilt in the US by AAR. We can get rebuilt German ZF (OEM) racks, but for more than twice the price, nobody buys them (and personally I wouldn't either). In the five years that I've sold the AAR racks, the only defect I ever had was one with a torn boot, which they replaced, so I've been more than satisfied with the quality of their work. My general rule of thumb is, if I wouldn't feel confident putting it on my own van, I won't sell it.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders Only: 1-866-BUS-DEPOT