Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Sep 2001 22:18:35 -0300
From:         Jean-Guy Savoie <jgsavoie@NBNET.NB.CA>
Subject:      Re: Looking for John Rogers - re: Rear lift method for bleeding
              cooling system
Comments: To: Zoran Mladen <zmladen@AVOLENT.COM>

Sorry to pipe in here, Zoran, but I just did the rear end up purge about 3 weeks ago. Yes you open the engine compartement bleeder, because this internally bleeds the engine. (don't forget to close afterwards)

You do want to get the top of your rad below the reservoir. Yes you raise the rpms, it makes the whole process go a lot faster and you get faster circulation to force the bubbles around and out the back. Of course you have to wait till the engine is hot enough to open the thermostat (you'll notice it gets very thirsty all of a sudden).

I cracked my rad bleeder valve open a tiny bit after the main filling process and very little air came out, as compared to the front end up method. I kept the front grill off for my next 2 or 3 short jaunts and when arriving at destination, before turning the engine off, I once again cracked the front bleeder open to get the last bit of air out, but there was precious little to purge.

Back end up by far easier, faster and altogether less frustrating than front end up bleeding.

JGS

84 1.9L Westfalia Bleu Schtroumpf

----- Original Message ----- From: Zoran Mladen <zmladen@AVOLENT.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 9:27 PM Subject: Looking for John Rogers - re: Rear lift method for bleeding cooli ng system