Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Sep 2001 14:59:37 EDT
From:         Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM>
Subject:      ?Where Do I Get Good Frt. Whl. Bearings?

Once, an old Sicilian related two adages to me: The seller always knows what he is selling, but the buyer seldom knows what he is buying. And: Promise them the moon, but give them sheeet (the guy had an accent). Since he had made millions by putting the rotten tomatoes in the bottom of the basket, so to speak, it must have worked for him. With that in mind, I will tell the long version of my twice-told tale.

About a year ago, I replaced a front wheel bearing with the kit from, dare I say it, the BusDepot. With the old Sicilian's words ringing in my ears, I placed the order using their toll call number in order to establish exactly what I was buying. BusDepot verified that the bearing was made in Germany and all the parts for the job at hand were in the kit, just as their website had proclaimed.

When the parts arrived, the first sign of trouble was that the kit lacked one of the seals. After a call to BusDepot and a 5 day delay, the missing seal was in my hands.

At that point, I tore apart the Syncro. The next nasty surprise came when I removed the protective wrap from the bearing to discover that it was made in frigging Spain, not Germany! Calling BusDepot again revealed that, unlike I was told, unlike what was proffered on their website, unlike for what I had paid, the bearings USED to be made in Germany, but now were coming from Spain. Of course, if I were not satisfied, I could return it for a refund or credit. Sure. The van is apart in the garage, my wife is viewing me with no small amount of incredulity and the kids are worried that we will have to go to the beach in a Volvo wagon. So, I am supposed to cast away all my prior planning to start a parts search?

Begrudgingly, I installed the wretched thing and now I must pay the price. The bearing has been chirpping from time to time for the past 3 months. At first, I thought it had to be a hinky caliper hanging up once in a while because it just couldn't be the new bearing. Guess what? There is now enough wobble in the bearing to prove it to be junk.

In hindsight, I am kicking myself. I should have known something was amiss because the Febi box in which the kit was packaged said Germany on it, not MADE in Germany. Then again, why should I have to parse the few words on some packaging if what the vendor discloses when asked a direct question is the truth? I cannot say that I was lied to by BusDepot because I do not know their intent; but, for those who appreciate nuance, I can say they told me an untruth.

I have chagrin by the bucketfuls; as some of you know, replacing a Syncro front wheel bearing is too much of a pain-in-the-ass to accept doing it annually.

Tim suggested contacting the vendor and Eric said to return the junk to from where it came. I will attempt both.