Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Sep 2001 15:23:35 -0700
From:         Steve Schwenk <steve@SYNCRO.ORG>
Subject:      Vanagon Custom Coil Springs: Production Date and last Call

I just spoke with the manufacturer and they have pushed their production date back 7-10 days on the 2WD vanagon westfalia springs. They estimated a delivery date of 9/11 when i ordered them 2 months ago. They will now be done on or before the 21st and will ship out from me within a week of that date. There will ne no delays beyond that. The 9/11 date was their best estimate 2 months ago.

I have two sets still available and ot spoken for. I can increase the order till the end of today as they begin winding the springs tomorrow. They then have to shot peen, test and powder coat them. If you would like a set please let me know before 5:00 p.m. west coast time.

I will be sending out shipping cost info and asking for final pmyt. from those who have already placed orders shortly.

The production springs will be a little different from the prototypes. I have increased the front spring rate and load height a little more to get rid of a little bouncing that was still present and to level the van front-to-rear a little more. They will still be a little taller in the rear on an empty van....depending on what van they go in, i.e. diesel, 2.1, tiico, etc. there is some variance from van-to-van as well, but not too much.

I encourage those who are getting them to go out now and buy some hard industrial grade plastic from a plastics shop for leveling shims if you want your van level from left-to-right. The westys will still list to the left even with new springs since that is a result of all the extra weight on the left side of a westy. A shim of 1/8" to 1/4" up front, and 1/4" tin the rear should level most vans. This is not an exact science and some vans will require slightly more shimming than others to be level. there is some info in the archive on what other people have used with success.

Please proceed with caution as there is not a lot of space for a shim on the front spring (the shim is placed between the rubber cap that fits over the top of the spring and the body of the van where the rubber cap rests). Others have used 1/4" spacers without problems, but i would not go much beyond that or there is some risk that the rubber cap could become dislodged, thus unseating the spring, and that could lead to disaster. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

The rears are more forgiving and there is room for a shim several inches thick, plus they are much easier to change and thus experiment with. I would start with 1/4" there.

The front shim looks like a big washer when you are done. there needs to be a hole in the middle for the shock to fit through. The actual shim is only an inch or so wide with the big hole in the middle. It is easiest to make the shims with the van apart. You can then use the shock rubber as a template to trace out the shim onto the plastic, then you cut the hoe in the middle with a large hole saw or other cutting implement. On the rears, use the big rubber pad that fits above the spring for a template. Again, there is a hole in the middle, but much smaller that the front shim.

I have the dimensions for shims for syncros, but I am not positive they will work on 2wd. Hopefully, someone will post the dimensions they use so those who are having mechanics install the springs can make the shims and then give them to the mechanic to install with the springs.

P-mail me if you need more info. I am not currently subscribed to the list. Also, it would be great if those who are currently using leveling shims could share their specs with the list as a bunch of people will be installing new springs in the near future. Steve

________________________________________________________ http://www.concentric.net/~Sxs/springs.shtml#2WDsprings ________________________________________________________ OVERVIEW OF SPRING STATS & GOALS:

The primary goal with the custom springs is to improve handling and stability. The springs will give a firmer feel, will improve stability in cross winds, will improve cornering, will provide a modest increase in available suspension travel and will make your van handle much better with a typical camping load than the stock springs. If installed with new shocks, they will make a van feel like a new vehicle (no kidding!).

A secondary goal is to increase usable suspension travel by increasing ride height modestly. The springs are based on the height of the 1985 vanagon westy spring, the tallest spring VW made for the vanagon. Thus how much increased height you get will depend on what year your van is. The early 80s vans will get the greatest lift in terms of increased ride height (roughly 1/2" depending on how much your old springs are sagging). Later vans will get a moderate increase in height (1/4 - 1/2"). 1985 vans will see only a modest increase in height (roughly 1/4"). List member Todd last has a photo of the springs installed on his 1988 Westfalia at:

http://rubatoguy.home.mindspring.com/springs.html

The extra height gives additional usable suspension travel. This is nice on rougher roads, but especially when traveling with a full camp load. Generally, the new springs will allow the van to ride when loaded at a height and with the suspension travel available that the van would normally ride empty on the stock springs. The increase in height was kept modest and within VW specs so as not to adversely affect cornering on the highway. A lower vehicle will corner a little better than a taller vehicle. Stiffer suspension/springs will also corner better than softer suspension/springs.

The increase in stiffness was kept modest to ensure that the stock shock damping will be adequate for the spring rate, and to keep the suspension supple and responsive. However, the increase in stiffness is enough to address the sloppy wallowing feeling, poor cross-wind stability and mushy cornering the stock springs on a westy typically have. It is impossible to make one spring that will be ideal under all circumstances, but these are a definite improvement over the stock springs. Often, stock suspension is designed to ensure the vehicle "feels" the way the manufacturer believes a customer would want it to feel when taking a test drive off of the show room floor. These are designed to "feel" the way a seasoned westy owner wants them to feel and perform when the van is loaded up for a typical camping trip.

The springs are made by a major spring manufacturer that has been in business since 1868 (not a typo). They first made springs for horse drawn covered wagons! They currently manufacturer springs for major national brand aftermarket suspension/parts distributors that you see in car mags and on the web. The springs are hot wound, shot peened and powder coated. Each spring is tested to ensure it is within specs before being shipped. The springs will sag about 1/4" or so after initial installation (after one good trip in a loaded van), but much of that is just the seating of the components, not the actual sagging of the spring. There have been no reports of the syncro springs sagging more than this in the 2+ years since the first sets were sold, and they get a much heavier workout than the typical 2WD vanagon.

PRICE & ORDERING & SHIPPING

The price of the springs is $400 for a set of 4 + shipping (50lbs) + 8% sales tax for California orders. This is less than 1/2 what the stock springs cost. The manufacturer has given a delivery date of Sept. 11th., meaning they will be ready to ship the second week of September, 2001, or shortly thereafter.

A $100 deposit is required to reserve a set. The balance is due before the springs will be shipped. Some extra sets will be available, but when I did this with the syncro springs, all of the extras were sold within 2 days of receiving the order from the manufacturer. I simply do not have the resources to stock large quantities of the springs. To reserve a set using a credit card via PayPal.com, go to the bottom of the page at the URL below:

http://www.concentric.net/~Sxs/springs.shtml

To reserve a set with a check, send the deposit to:

Steve Schwenk 8332 Geary Blvd. San Francisco CA 94121

(415) 387-3434

UPS Shipping costs will range from roughly $35 on the west coast to $50 for the east coast for the 50lbs package. This is about double what shipping costs were last year due to fuel price increases.

FEEDBACK ON THE 2WD PROTOTYPE SPRINGS MADE IN MAY 2001:

Below is some feedback from the people who have installed the prototype springs we had made in May 2001. __________ From: Mark Drillock <drillock@earthlink.net> To: Steve Schwenk <steve@SYNCRO.ORG>

Steve, I got the springs and yesterday we installed them in Mike Snow's 83 ASI Camper. Due to a more even layout of camping gear it did not have the lean of a Westy even with the old springs. He also has recently new noname Pep Boys shocks.

The new springs are pretty level front to back and side to side, slightly higher in the rear. The new springs raised his 83 by 1/2" at each corner.

The old springs gave a ride height if about 15 1/2" - 15 3/4" all around and the new are 16" - 16 1/4".

The ride is greatly improved, less sway on corners, a more stable ride in general. We took it on a very bumpy route and the difference was dramatic. Even speeding up for the deep dips resulted in no bottoming out. There was no time for a freeway test but today we will get back to it.

I can't believe how well the first run works so far. More testing is needed of course. I am anxious to try them in a Westy. My 82 Westy already has the taller 85 passenger springs installed so I am curious how the ride height will be.

thanks, Mark _______ Subject: 2WD Prototype Springs - Day 2 (long) Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 17:18:10 -0700 From: Michael Snow <mwsnow@HOME.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM

I drove around quite a bit today with the new springs. Like Mark said, I have a 1983 ASI diesel camper. I do not unload it when not camping, with the exception of draining the water tank. ASI campers are constructed from passenger model vans, and they do not have heavy duty springs like the later Westfalia. I am currently using Gabriel gas shocks, which are a bargain at $22 from Pep Boys. Like most of us, I drive the same sections of road all the time. I figure that the difference in the springs will be the most dramatic in my van due to the pitifully sagging and heavily loaded passenger springs that I am used to.

My initial impression of this spring design:

1. Ride height is increased about 1/2 inch all around. It's not a Westy, so it doesn't lean to the left, even with the worn out stock springs. It's hard to tell exactly, but the van seems level front to rear instead of the nose-up attitude that many of the older ones have. If anything, the rear is slightly taller. Tomorrow, I'll have it loaded with passengers so I can look at it again. My guess is that it will be close to perfectly level.

2. Handling in general is much improved. Buffeting from large trucks passing at highway speeds is significantly decreased. At my normal entrance to the freeway, there is a decreasing radius on-ramp that I would not normally drive faster than 25 MPH. Today I did it at 32, and felt confident that I could have gone a little faster as long as the pavement is dry. The reduced body roll is very confidence inspiring, and could lead me to actually find the limit of adhesion of my 185R14 Yokohama tires.

3. Ride quality is improved dramatically. Much more firm, but still pliant and comfortable. The limitations of my bargain shocks are obvious with these springs, as they do not have sufficient damping to eliminate rebound. I think a set of Bilstein gas shocks would be well suited for the stiffness of the springs. Mark has them in his diesel Westy, and the ride is exceptionally nice.

4. When we drove yesterday, we intentionally went through some local streets with large dips for water drainage. There are grooves ground into the pavement at every one of these where some unsuspecting driver has bottomed out from going too fast. I usually slow down to about 10 MPH when crossing them to prevent the camper (and all the stuff in it) from bouncing too hard. With the new springs, we were running through them in excess of 25 MPH with no bottoming of the spring and no wheel hop. My pile of junk (we all have one, don't we?) in the back of the van stayed put. The dishes and pans in the cabinets stayed quiet. As I said, my shocks are not up to the task for this type of driving, though they are fairly fresh and still have good gas pressure in the cartridge. As a side note, we tried this with the new springs in the front only. The rear end took quite a beating until we put the new springs back there too.

A short comment on the condition of my old, stock springs. Like all other progressive rate springs I have ever worked with, the small diameter section of the wire is completely collapsed. Even when removed from the van, thin section does not expand. It sits flat, like some sorry looking steel cinnamon roll, unable to contribute anything to the ride of the van. Sad... I only have a couple years experience with Vanagons, but this has happened to every progressive coil spring that I have ever seen on the off-road trucks and SUVs where you see them a lot. I greatly prefer a thoughtfully designed, single rate spring.

I know now how the guys that test exotic cars for the magazines must feel. They get to drive cool stuff, and then have to give it back :( From my initial impression, I would not hesitate to buy a set of these springs for an older camper.

Mike Snow _________

Subject: Re: Springs Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:32:27 -0700 From: Todd Last <Rubatoguy@mindspring.com> To: steve@syncro.org

Good evening.

I got the springs in, and thought I'd give you an initial report. I have a '88 Westy and I was moving from H&R 'sport' springs to the new ones.

[....]

Well, the good news is that the ride is just about perfect. It is so EXCELLENT to be able to go over bumps and not jar your fillings from your teeth. The new springs have a little bit of wallow front to rear compared to the H&R but are 100 times better than I recall the original springs to be. Very stable in turns. I have not driven enough to give a good report, but so far I'm really happy with them.

Next weekend I'll put in the Bilsteins ( they should be here by then) and I'm going to replace the stabilizer bar link bushings as they were somewhat deformed. I'm also planning to replace the large strut-bar bushings, I suppose the only way to do that is to remove the strut bar from the a-arm. Then I'm going to have it aligned, as I'm sure I'm way off as the van was aligned for the H&R springs.

Steve, I don't think you could have done much better - the springs seem to be a perfect compromise between height, ride and handling.

I'll follow up with the measurements later this week. I should have photos by then too.

regards, Todd

P.S. I don't recommend replacing springs on a 90+ degree day! ___________ Subject: Spring Stats: Date: 25 Jun 2001 11:30:03 -0700 From: Ryan Alfonso <ryan_alfonso@ceruscorp.com> To: Steve Schwenk <steve@syncro.org>

Hi Steve! The ride quality on the springs is really nice actually, even with the Bilstein's. Installed on the 14th by VolksCafe guys. The quick measurements I've done so far show the rear to be about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch higher than the front (assuming equal hight of the fender lips). This is WITH the Tiico engine, no spare up front, and a full load of propane. I'm parked in a good flat spot at work here to day, so at lunch I'll run out and take some accurate measurements and get back to you.

I dunno whether it's the springs or the 15" wheels but the thing rides like a dream now. No more of that butt puckering when whippin' around a turn. ______

Re: Spring Stats: Date: 02 Jul 2001 12:51:07 -0700 From: Ryan Alfonso <ryan_alfonso@ceruscorp.com> To: <steve@syncro.org>

Hi Steve! Answers!

1.) perfect stiffness. Better feel and control without excess harshness. Between these springs and the 15 inch wheels, it's getting closer to being the porshce camper I've always dreamed of.

2.) didn't do "before" measurements on ride height. Seems about the same compared it to other Vanagons. [...]

-Ryan