Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Sep 2001 04:11:43 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Removing rubber cement from old poptop seal ??
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>

I have preached the virtues of this tool before, but 3m makes a"Auto body pistripe and adhesive remover that chucks up in your drill. The tool uses the generic Roloc adapter and resembles a 4-6" wire brush attachment only instead of wire bristles, there are these multiple thin and very flimsy plastic discs. With adequate RPM's, they sort of burnish off the glue. I use the tool to rid the inside of plastic canoes and kayaks of old contact cement and it is a real time andsolvent saveeer.

If you do use solvents, wear the nitrile rubber gloves. Acetone evaporates too quickly to do a llot of good. Mek is nasty smelling and although Xylene at least smells like Magic Marker, it doesn't evaporate as fast and will hang aroundd and clean better. A ScotchBrite pad backed up with a cotton rag works well til it clogs with the cement.

The "Floppy Disk" tool runs about $12 at most auto body specialty supply houses or you can order it from blackburn marine just outside of Houston.

DM&FS

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Arnott" <jrasite@EONI.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2001 12:06 AM Subject: Re: Removing rubber cement from old poptop seal ??