Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Sep 2001 21:55:51 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: HELP! Another Broken Alternator Mount
Comments: To: Steve Sullivan <steveis@SPEAKEASY.ORG>

Ah Stainless studs!! There's the problem. Stainless hardware is not strong. Most only rates as a grade 5.8 on the metric bolt strength scale. There are some grades that are stronger but this is definitely the wrong application. Keep stainless for exhaust, valve covers etc. Not for anything that needs strength. Get the holes repaired, use heli-coils if needed and use bolts that are at least grade 10.9 or 12.9. Make sure the mounting surface on the case is straight. Also make sure any washers used are heat treated, avoid lock washers. Cheap washers will deform causing the mount to loosen leading to another set of broken bolts.

Dennis