Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Sep 2001 05:26:05 EDT
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propane heaters; Are you SERIOUS????
Comments: To: ThingGuy@aol.com

In a message dated 9/12/01 12:36:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time, ThingGuy@AOL.COM writes:

<< I was just giving some ideas on how one could obtain the heaters even when they are not available in the US. If you misuse your own heater and cause someone's death you will always be liable and not the manufacturer. The non US certification is not cause alone for legal action. The heaters are CE certified and are not even illegal to sell in the US, they are just not approved by the industry here. I do not believe there is any US regulations that govern this type of heater. We are only talking industry certification, not government certification.>>

I'm not making any judgments as to whether they are illegal or not. I was simply stating that there are potential liability issues to be considered anytime you take the road less traveled so to speak.

<< One of the reasons that Truma doesn't want to offer their products here in the US is because they believe all we do over here is sue each other. Your statement above seems to support this. >>

It's a statement of fact. Product liability is one of the biggest reasons that we do not get many products available on other markets. Rest assured that if there is enough demand and money to be made, someone will take the gamble anyway. (Hmmm.... their name sounds too much like "trauma".)

<< The fact is that no one would sue me over your death since I have so little money, and no big product liability policy. Having the large insurance policy will just about guaranty that I do get sued. >>

Just because you do not have any assets or have any insurance does not mean you are off the hook. You could find yourself working for someone else for the rest of your life. You ability to earn is an asset. The key is to find a happy medium.

Benjamin E. S. Tan