Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Sep 2001 10:19:02 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: ?Where Do I Get Good Frt. Whl. Bearings?
Comments: To: Terry Kay <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>

> One minor point that you made, that I find to be an absolute > impossibility. > > A wheel bearing failure due to over lubricating it? ( excessive grease )

Exerpted from the VW bus Bentley manual:

"9 - Lubricate bearings and pack brake drumhub with lithium grease of the correct specification. Press the grease well into the cages and between the rollers. The hub cap should be free of grease.

"Important Only use good quality grease. Do not mix different brands and types of grease. The amount of grease required per wheel is 80g. Too much grease can also be harmful"

I not a professional mechanic, so my knowledge is limted on what I read and my experience working on my own vans, much like most of you. But I have read a couple of warnings about overpacking on the Bus lists (in addition to those in the Bentley manual). I seem to recall reading an explanation that excessive grease could actually cause overheating, much like insufficient grease, but this is going strictly from the memory of a thread I read a good year ago, so don't quote me on it. I presume one of the more experienced mechanics on the list could provide a better explanation.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com