Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Sep 2001 09:09:29 -0700
From:         Casa Gofastica motorcycle service <DBingham@CASAGOFASTICA.COM>
Subject:      84 Camper with auto trans.

I have the opportunity to buy an 84 Westy with and auto trans. The Van has been stored more of its life than driven. I think it has 30,000 on it. The last time it was ran was 2 years ago. My dad charged the battery and it started right up and drove fine. I have not seen or driven it yet. The van belongs to a friend of his. Right now I drive an 86 GL with 4 speed. Here are my questions:

How much slower is the auto trans.? How about hills? Can I still pull a trailer? (small motorcycle trailer) Will the auto trans be able to cope with the added power if I do an inline 4 conversion? How about a somewhat hot rodded inline 4?

I have some westy specific questions too:

What things in a westy don't store well? Will the fridge need servicing after sitting for at least 2 years? Are there anythings I should look out for with the propane and water tanks? Do they all have propane tanks? What if I wanted to remove the camping stuff like the fridge, stove, and sink? Will doing this leave a big blank spot in the carpet and interior trim?

Thanks to all of you who replied to my Exhaust and O2 sensor questions. I am moving this week form Idaho to Bend Oregon. As soon as I get there I will put the Bus Depot cheap 3 wire sensor in. David