Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:12:09 -0400
From:         "Fitz-Randolph, Douglas" <Doug@BEACONMARKETING.NET>
Subject:      Re: Epoxy/Filler Seam Rust Fix Info?
Comments: cc: paradigm@ALLEGRAPRINTING.COM, ABINORMAL3@AOL.COM

> I searched the archives but my computer locks up during the search. Could > someone please send me the products recommended to fix seam rust on my 1989 > GL? I believe Petit makes the sealer

If you are mentioning "Petit" you may have seen my post from a few years ago

RE. primers. It's actually "Pettit" and I remember mis-spelling it! Maybe not, but it seemed a little coincidental. Anyway, the product that I used was called the "Underwater Metal Kit", http://www.petitprod.com/products2.asp?Productid=57&Catid=3&SubCatid=9 , which I purchased from a marine supply house locally. It consisted of a catalyzed bare metal primer and an epoxy sealing primer. The repair I made -

not a seam, mind you - has gone through two years here in coastal Maine without any sign of rust returning. However, please note - these products are not designed to be used over rust - they are specified for use on bare, bright metal only. In making my repair, I cut back to bright metal, primed with the Pettit products, then used body filler, cheap primer and regular color-match paint to finish the surface. Pettit does make a primer suitable for application over rust, http://www.petitprod.com/products2.asp?Productid=39&Catid=3&SubCatid=6 , but I have not had any experience with its use or effectiveness.

I did use a POR-15-like product in several spots and it has not been effective. I don't think this is any shortcoming of the product, but rather that my application was flawed. I think that if one removed as much rust as possible and, most importantly, eliminated the cause of the rust, that POR-15 would be effective. What I mean is that if you have rust coming from inside a body panel and bubbling up to the outside, and you wire-brush and apply POR-15 from the outside, the rust will simply bubble up through the POR-15. It may be a good product, but is isn't magic and cannot substitute for proper removal and containment procedures.

I found an excellent and well-illustrated book on rust repair in my local public library - I feel a bit silly bringing it up as I cannot recall the title, but it was from the Classic Motorbooks series, and it was out of print. I'd highly recommend it as it addresses causes, preventative measures

and repair procedures for many rust types and body situations. I will swing by the library again when I get a chance for the complete reference.

Also, Marshall Ruskin posted what I thought was an excellent procedure for seam rust repair to the list on 4/19/00 - Subject was " Re: Seam rust. Yuck." If you can't get it out of the archives, let me know and I can send it to you.

Cheers!

Doug Fitz-Randolph '90 Syncro Freeport, ME