Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Sep 2001 19:07:56 -0700
From:         "C.R. Rowland" <cr_rowland@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      My Westy as an everyday vehicle... a little long.

I have two vehicles. Besides Tinkerbell, my '85 Westy, I have an '88 Honda Accord LX which I drive back and forth to work. I want to sell one of these and am considering selling the Honda and making the Westy my everyday vehicle, for a few years at least. My Westy is very dependable and only needs minor cosmetic and camping related repairs. It has 145K miles on her 15K of which I have put on. The 1.9 hasn't given me any problems and drives well--I can do 70 mph at 3900 RPM and typically get 20-22 mpg averaging between 60-65 mph on the road. My daily commute is 50 miles round trip, all highway driving.

If I sell my Honda I could have about $3500.00 to put into the Westy. I have considered an engine conversion to increase the power and dependability, and to be able to install a cruise control kit successfully. My goal is to make the Westy a dependable driving vehicle. Is that too much to ask from a 17 year old vehicle? Should I keep my Honda and continue to garage the Westy. I am just looking for some opinions on this topic. If this email seems to drift that is because I am not sure what I am getting into and am looking for a little guidance.

Also, how much does a decent 1.9 engine go for?

Thanks in Advance. Chris Rowland

P.S. My condolences to the families and friends of the victime taken in the recent attacks on the US. I served as a US Marine during the Gulf War and I would gladly return to action to respond to this assault on American freedom.

__________________________________________________ Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help? Donate cash, emergency relief information http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/