Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Sep 2001 23:11:42 -0400
From:         Tom and Dana Cates <dcates1@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Picasso Moon Trip Report
Comments: To: FullMoonBusClub <FullMoon@Hville.Net>,
          Wetwesties <wetwesties@egroups.com>

Before (and in vehement spite of) the Evil:

Dana and I arrived early, around one on Friday. We thought that we would be the first, but Meredith and Debbie had us well beaten by a couple of hours. Kurt 'Shine' Glatte arrived next and set up next to us in his stylin VR6 Winnebago. As far as were concerned, hey man, the party was on! People continued to drift in, our gracious hosts, Brent and Debbie next, Royce, Snoopy, a whole bunch of others, and then, surprise, Derek 'Wrong Way' Waycaster in some kind of far eastern karma-truck. Although the origins of the FMBC are shrouded in (dense and smoky) mystery it is my understanding that Wrong Way, Snoopy, and Royce are several random points of the founding troika. This is the first campout of the year I think to have them united. The Tennessee Mechanized showed in force, Eddie in a nice Vanagon and Poor Richard in the super cool black lit mural hi-top bay.

Picasso, for those that have never attended, is held in probably the most beautiful and secluded cove in the Western North Carolina Mountains. The weather for the entire weekend was perfect, warm during the day, and chilly enough for some people to wear a jacket in the evening. Friday evening, Dana and I were occupied around dusk getting ready to grill our own supper when word came down from the upper field that J and Lynn were boiling live Maine lobsters. We were somewhat dubious, since the messenger clearly had stars in his eyes, but we've been to enough campouts now to know that this was no time to dawdle. We hustled on up, abandoning our humble meal, and my eyes nearly popped out of my head as I tripped over Dana's tongue when we realized that camp crier had been correct. Dana shared one with Snoopy and the kindly allowed me to share one with her, too. The rest of Friday evening was spent catching up, and then the stars came out and made a beautiful display for all of us, especially those of us 'resting' on the ground later on in the party. We all retired that night pretty happy.

Saturday morning saw the "WORLD FAMOUS BREAKFAST BURRITOS" prepared at the especially dignified hour of 9AM. Mad Uncle Dave arrived just in time to eat, lucky man! Brent, always well equipped, had brought a Frisbee Golf setup, and several tournaments were held over the course of the day. Steve Best came in midday, and even though he didn't provide any entertainment this time by getting his Syncro stranded, he did bring half an engine case for the community fire. There was a chili contest, and there were righteous victors. The door prizes were especially rich, and Wrong Way's friend won one of the Tie-Dye creations of J/Lynn and Brent/Debbie and won our hearts when he dramatically removed his current shirt from service and in favor of the Tie-Dye and with an overhead sweep tossed it into the fire. Later that evening, one of the newer members, Smiley, fired up Rusted Root in his megawatt splitty (with strobe lights), and apparently offended some people. It was loud...

Sunday morning, there was the Burrito redux, and then everyone reluctantly packed for home. Lots of new members at this one, Edward and Rhonda in a Weekender under conversion to full Westy, as well as several others whom I regret to say I did not catch the names of during the event.

Don't for get the upcoming 'East meets West' Indigibus, in October. It's bound to be a BLAST! http://www.geocities.com/fullbusmooners/Indigibus.html

Tom and Dana Cates Asheville, NC 83 Air-Cooled Westfalia, 'Hammurabi' http://www.fullmoonbusclub.com/ "Home of the World Famous Breakfast Burritos" http://www.type2.com/rescue/ http://members.home.net/fullmooninjoon/index.htm