Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Sep 2001 07:15:56 -0700
From:         Todd Last <Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ideal Gearing Query For Subaru Vanagons
Comments: To: Derek Drew <derekdrew@RCN.COM>

Personally, I like my cruising RPM as close to 3,500 RPM as possible.

However, I'd say the best RPM for cruising speed also depends on: Where the torque peak is on the motor, The torque curve of the motor, and the 4th gear ratio.

If you can easily shift to 4th for "passing" then you may want to have a tall (low rpm) 5th to go for top MPG and low engine wear. However, if you have to depend on 5th for passing and hills, you probably do not want to go too tall. The torque characteristics play into this as well.

You might want to check the web for some calculators. Here is one that will calculate your best shift points (for the best acceleration):

http://www.prestage.com/carmath/dynochart.asp

I have not keyed in the Vanagon info - it would be interesting to see what it said.

Todd

'88 Westy