Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Sep 2001 12:28:43 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: communists

>I guess we are the only true capitalist society left in the free world. >And that is a good thing. >You know what, John, I don't pay a damn cent for my health care. Do you >know why? Because I have a union job that the employer pays 100%. Guess >what, there are plenty of those kinds of jobs out there. But people are >too lazy to get off their asses and work.

Yeah, but does yer gummint give FREE VANAGONS to the people? Thought not.

Here in NZ the taxation rate is closer to 30%. However there have been healthcare cutbacks and it's not all free; hence the sudden proliferation of private hospitals and health insurance companies. Does this sound capitalist?

"...union job that the employer pays 100%." Guess what? How many small/marginal employers can pay ANY healthcare at all? Or holiday pay? Unions? These are what (in part; not mentioning the awful goods quality) destroyed the English manufacturers.

USA, land of the free. Free to sue a car company because its product can be started in gear, so some moron runs his kid over and sues the manufacturer for millions. And a "justice" system which upholds his claim! Where a burglar can trip over a wire in your house in the course of a "burg" and sue you for injury ... and win!!...and be awarded compensation for loss of income.... come on.

Unemployment? Sure, there are plenty in all countries who don't want to work. But nevertheless in developed countries there are far fewer jobs than adult people, so there are guaranteed default unemployed. In NZ it's extremely difficult to get even laboring jobs.

Here we currently pay about $1.80US/gallon for gas. That's IMPERIAL gallons, 4.55 liters, larger than US gallons. A good house in Dunedin (south end of country) costs between $37g and $61gUS, though this increases generally as you head north; in Auckland it's a lot more. Milk is about $1US/2 liters. Chicken breasts recently went up to about $6.50US/kg (1kg=2.2lb). A loaf of bread is between $0.67 and $0.82US. Fortunately we can't generally get Coors or Budweiser weaselurine. The average wage? Well, at $11890US gross I earn somewhat more than the average (this oft-used but deliberately misleading figure is seriously upward-skewed by the minority rich mens' incomes).

Cars? These were extremely expensive (in an 83 paper I recently found were advertised Triumph Dolomite for $1637US, 74 Corona at a bit more; inflation means that these two figures are actually far more expensive than in today's dollars), but used imports from Japan have really killed prices, and you can get a loaded 89 Corona or similar now for $1600-odd; a 94 Estima turbodiesel (narrow-bodied Previa) for $5700... and we don't salt roads, so rust is generally not a problem with modern older cars other than Hondas.

Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> ph 64 (3) 473-8863 fax 64 (3) 479-7527 84 VW Caravelle GL (to be fitted with SVX engine & Porsche G50 trans) RWD 87 Corolla 1.8 DX CE80 diesel sedan FWD 89 Corolla 1.8 DX CE96 diesel van/wagon FWD 89 Corona 2.0 D Select CT170 diesel sedan FWD 92 Toyota Estima Lucida (=Previa) 2.2 turbodiesel RWD In a world without walls or fences, who needs windows or gates?