Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Sep 2001 20:40:51 -0700
From:         "MOST,DAVID" <most@UCLA.EDU>
Subject:      should I feel bad? + vanagon spouses

Last week, I mentioned that I missed out on a syncro westy with 49k at a good price. Actually, I called before the guy that bought it showed up, but because it took me two hours to get there, I missed my chance. He only lived a few minutes away. That's not the end of the story though.

I already felt a little bad having driven a long way without the vanagon being held for me to look at until I arrived. I once held one for two months for someone having promised it to a prospective buyer despite being offered more money in the interim. In any case, the guy who bought the syncro westy seemed like a nice guy (he was handing the cash over as I pulled up), and I asked him if he planned to use it or was just going to turn around and sell it. He acted as if he didn't know what I was talking about, and he talked about using it as his "urban assault" vehicle, his primary car. He asked me a number of times if I thought he got a good deal, and he seemed happy when I reassured him. Though I didn't feel good, I felt a little better believing that he would enjoy the vehicle. To prevent this long story from getting any longer, I just saw an internet ad for this very syncro westy for twice what he paid for it. So, not only was he dishonest about his intention to use it and his acting insecure at dropping a fair sum of money, he's also out to make as much as he can on this transaction. In retrospect, he was only pretending to feel bad that I had missed out on it.

Before I get attacked on criticizing someone for trying to make an honest buck (given the recent discussion of the topic on the list), let me say that I don't have any problem with such activity. Rather, the prevalence of dishonesty is disappointing, and this sentiment is independent of my dislike of greed. Unfortunately, there seems to be an abundance of both in southern CA where I happen to be located at the moment.

During the 6 years I've been on this list, I've never written an email with such little vanagon content, but I figured that y'all could appreciate all the dimensions of this story.

And, since this list has spawned a vanagon dating service, I'll note that I'm single and looking as well. It's always a distinct pleasure to meet a woman who appreciates my van(s).now that sounds like a southern CA thing to say (where who you are is often judged by what you drive). Maybe Joel could keep statistics on the single people on the list like he used to for the vanagons.

David