Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Sep 2001 23:36:04 +1000
From:         Christopher Mundy <cwmundy@OPTUSNET.COM.AU>
Subject:      Re: Molassas To Fix Rust -- New Scientist Article & Vegemite??

Hi,

For those wondering about Vegemite, it is a yeast extract spread you put on Sandwiches. It goes well with cheese and is the kind of spread you put on kid's school lunches. It goes well in Toasted Sandwiches (Jaffles) Its composition is similar to thick grease or peanut butter(paste). Its black in colour. Most foreigners who try it say they don't like. The reason we Aussies can eat it, is because our mothers and their mothers fed it to us when we were babies and it became an acquired taste.

As for it being used for rust protection, I'm not sure I'd do that. After a couple days in the Sun your Vanagon might end up smelling like an old toasted yeast smelling sandwich. For information about Vegemite go to http://www.vegemite.com.au/.

Which reminds me. Fish Oil is good for rust proofing. We use to use that years ago for rust proofing. Well, the smell was woeful for a week then it was gone. It came in Spray Cans. It was really great for spraying down hidden vent airtakes on friends cars who were about to depart on their honeymoons. (those were the days)

As for Ben Selinger who wrote the article on Molassas, he lives in Canberra where I come from and where the Australian National University is located. Find attached his personal Web Page. http://chemistry.anu.edu.au/Staff/BKS/BKS.php3. If you can get it through that URL try www.anu.edu.au and go to the search.

Best Regards to all

Chris

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Christopher W. Mundy 89 Caravelle GL E-Mail: cwmundy@optusnet.com.au Ph: +61 262419343 Wk: +61 262446749 Mob:+61 412239144 AEST ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~