Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:47:02 -0400
From:         Maynard Southard <echomhs@GIS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Diesel engine help needed (little or NVC)
Comments: cc: "BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM" <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>

Ben & friend: (BTW I consider this Vanagon content, since the following applies to the Diesel Vanagons also)

I believe the relay you found is the windshield wiper intermittent relay. Shouldn't be the source of your problem. Also, I don't believe there is an electric fuel pump involved - at least not stock.

Two things come to mind.

Check for power to the glow plug bus bar on the head. Turn on the ignition and check for 12v at any of the glow plugs (you have about 30 seconds to check this before the glow plug relay times out - using alligator clips on your voltmeter leads makes this easiest). If so, maybe the glow plugs are bad (but usually not all at once and you would probably finally kick over in summer/fall weather.) If no power, check the 50 amp fuse to the glow plugs. This should be mounted in the engine compartment in a black plastic case on the firewall. It's hard to miss - follow the red heavy gauge wire from the glow plug bus bar to it. Again, turn the ignition on and check for 12 volts on each side of the fuse. If you only have 12v on one side with the ignition, the fuse is bad. If you have no power on either side, move upstream to the glow plug relay. This relay is usually found under the dash in Jettas and Golfs with the other relays. Sometimes it is on an extra "block" that piggy backs on the fuse/relay panel. (The Vanagon has the relay in the engine compartment next to the 50A fuse.) That's the best I can do to describe it. A new relay is $20-$30.

Or perhaps you have an air leak into the fuel line running to the injector pump. Can you see fuel in the clear hose running to the injector pump from the fuel filter? Are there lots of bubbles in this line? Air leaks in diesel fuel lines can be difficult to find. They don't usually leak fuel, just suck air. You might need to replace old, cracked fuel lines.

Hope this helps.

Maynard Southard OvO '79 '82 Westy Diesel "Reinhardt" '82 Vanagon GL Diesel '93 EV GL "Klinger" '00 Golf GLS TDI "WooHoo" '84 Jetta GL TD "Donor"

On Monday, September 17, 2001 11:09 PM, Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM> wrote: Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM> > Can the diesel gurus on this list help this guy out. Pmail me if you have any > suggestions and I will forward it. Sorry for the lack of Vanagon content. I > thought hat since it's essentially the same engine as some Vanagons someone > may be ale to help this guy. Besides he is currently shopping for a diesel > van. > > Thanks, > BenT > > << My recently acquired '81 Jetta got a starter today [it has been parked for > 17 years and hasn't been started in 4] along with a new under-hood fuel > filter and an earl change...both the fuel filter and the earl filter were > filled with diesel and motor earl, respectively before remounting, to > expedite that fluid on its way. > > Well, turning the key after the glow-plug light went out [JOY!] rewarded me > with the familiar and sadly missed sound of the Jetta's diesel 1.6 turning > over. And over. And over and over. Not firing up. Well, that part wasn't > at all familiar. [last time dad started it, in 1997, it started immediately > like it always had] Checked the manual, one fuse listed as a possible > culprit [electric fuel pump] in space # 16 "directly above the fuse box" but > all I found was fuses 1 thru 15, and several relays above the fuse box. One > relay WAAAAAAAAAAAY up did have a fuse on the end of it, a 25A fuse, and I > assumed this to be #16. It was intact and OK. > > Now, there was a relay about in the middle of the fuse box that looked > 'rusty' near its pins. Wiggling it out of its socket [boy, that took some > four letter words], revealed an undetermined relay that is either burned up > or something...it rattles and smells burnt and the casing seems like it's > ready to pop off. The pins are rusted. Checking its neighboring relays, > they came out a bit easier and the pins were shiny. > > Any idea what this cat is? I have both Haynes and Bentley manuals for A1 & A2 > VWs, but only for gas engines. I searched the 'Net for the numbers on top of > the relay, but if Google.com doesn't give you a return on your search, then > there's nothing out there to find regarding it. > > The #s on top of this puppy are: > 321 955 531 A > and of course it says SIEMENS and SME on it, and below that are: > 5 WK 1636 >>