Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:08:25 -0600
From:         Zoran Mladen <zmladen@AVOLENT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine shot? Odd compression readings
Comments: To: Kenneth D Lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>

Just a note about this response. Squirting oil in the cylinder before checking compression does in fact guarantee a seal. However, keep in mind that if you do this and the rings are going bad, you will mask the fact that they are no longer holding a good seal. Best is to check compression first without oil. Then, if compression is low in some cylinders, squirt oil in them and recheck. If compression jumps up, the rings are going. If not, its a valve problem.

-----Original Message----- From: Kenneth D Lewis [mailto:kdlewis@JUNO.COM] Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 6:47 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Engine shot? Odd compression readings

Steve; I like doing the compression check with a slightly warm engine. Run it for three or four minutes. That way the rings will be oiled and expanded. Some people squirt some oil in all plug holes to achieve realistic seal. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Try it again in about six months and keep track.

Good Luck and Drive Safely Ken Lewis 86 Crewcab,60 356 http://Neksiwel.20m.com/

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001 10:44:58 -0700 Steve Sullivan <steveis@SPEAKEASY.ORG> writes: > Just completed my first ever compression check on my 1.9L with 170k > on it. > Recently had a "bottom end" (why do they call it that?) job of > re-ring, new > rod bearings, and completely rebuilt heads. Am concerned about the > readings > I got, need you expert's help diagnosing results. (Not sure I have > the > cylinder numbers right.) > > #1 (RR): 152 psi > #2 (RF): 115 psi > #3 (LR): 160 psi > #4 (LF): 131 psi > > According to friend Bentley, that's mostly within specs: > > Range > Ideal: 145 - 189 My van: 115 - 160 > > Minimum > Ideal: 116 My van: 115 > > Max difference between highest and lowest > Ideal: 44 My van: 45 > > The two front cylinders are low, the two rear cylinders are OK, all > are low. > What gives? After re-ringing the pistons, honing the cylinders, and > rebuilding the heads (and a great break-in), shouldn't the readings > all be > correct? Or are my valves out of adjustment (haven't adjusted since > assembly, been a couple thousand miles since)? > > Thanks for the help. Wanted your advice before calling the rebuild > shop, so > I know what I'm talking about. > > Steve > Calvin, the 84 Westy > > > Steve Sullivan > Off the Map Consulting > 1326 S. 13th St. > Mount Vernon, WA 98274 > 360-428-7018 > steveis@speakeasy.org > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.