Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:01:37 -0400
From:         Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@HEWITT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Newbie question
Comments: To: Debra Clark <clark10006@HOME.COM>

> I am brand new and interested in buying a Westy, circa mid to late 80's. I would like to do this within the >next several months and so I have joined this group to become informed. But, for most posts, I know too little to >understand the subject matter. So, could you recommend a book for me to buy? Also, any tips you could send my way >on what to look for. For instance, how much mileage is too much? These VW's seem to be work horses but it seems I >should stay away from cars with 200,000 or more miles. Are there good years and bad years within this time frame? >Some I should stay away from? > I live in San Diego County and my husband and I want to use the Westy for local camping and, occasionally, >farther trips. Anything that you can tell me to make me more knowledgeable would be greatly appreciated. >Debra Clark >Santee, California >clark10006@home.com or debra_clark@yahoo.com

Hi Debra,

If you haven't already perused the www.vanagon.com (for 1980 to 91) and www.type2.com (pre-1980) sites -- they are the places to start. You say you're looking for a mid 70's to late 80's Westy. There are no "good years or bad years" but there are a lot of differences. You're covering a lot of ground in this period for you have the choice of 2 body styles and air-cooled/water-cooled engines. Pre- 1980 Westies are air-cooled with the older 'loaf' style body which is more rounded than the 1980 to 1991 Westies (these are Vanagons or 'bricks'). Halfway through the 1983 model year VW changed to a water-cooled 1.9 litre engine. To further add to the confusion, in 1986 the Vanagon engine was changed to a 2.1 litre (water-cooled) engine ---- and the Vanagons with this engine were also likely to come with such goodies as power-steering, heated mirrors, power windows and doorlocks etc. --- fancier than the Vanagon's of previous years. Each of these permutations of Westy has its fans. I own an '84 Westy (water-cooled 1.9 litre) Westy and have owned and loved a '78 (air-cooled). Some random thoughts on comparisons:

The vanagon body style is the biggest/roomiest. Some will argue that the air-cooled engines are more reliable --- easier to fix and easier to find someone to fix them. The water-cooled have cabin heat --- the air-cooled cabin heat can be made to work effectively but the chances are that yours won't unless you fix it --- not an easy task. The water-cooled engines have a known problem with leaky heads. Some will also argue that the fancy post-85 vanagons have more gadgets to break and fix and that you're better off without them.

As to the high mileage question --- varying arguments here --- you'll find that a lot of Westies have rebuilt engines in them anyway --- so there may only be, for example 40K on the engine and 200K on the clock --- something you'd have to find out. So the engine may not be the issue --- the transmission might --- how many miles on it etc. Of course, the lower the miles the better --- but you end up paying for it. A lot of listees have high-mileage vehicles that they intend to keep forever --- accepting the fact that it's going to take money and effort to do this.

Owning one of these wonderful vehicles is both a labour of love and an on-going project. My recommendation is to buy the best one you can possibly afford --- rust-free, low miles etc. This may sound self evident but the point I'm trying to make is; don't go cheap and figure you'll spend money "fixing it up later". This approach will cost you more in the long run --- as I said these vehicles are ALL on-going projects. Give yourself the best start that you can --- even if it means digging deeper now.

No matter what Westy you decide to buy --- you're going to love it. They are wonderful vehicles ---- and I, with the help of this great list, intend to keep mine going forever too.

Cheers,

Doug Alcock '84 Westy "BlueBelle" Toronto, Canada