Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Sep 2001 22:06:34 -0700
From:         Tom Moritz <tmoritz@BMI.NET>
Subject:      Re: info on the fridge

Mark,

First of all, I have replaced the pale green LED with a brilliant blue LED. Much easier to see in strong daylight. It's easy to do if you have done any soldering on a printed circuit board in the past. The LED can be purchased at Radio Shack. Just make sure you orient the notch on the base of the LED the same way as the one you remove from the board. That makes sure you have the polarity right.

Also, your comment regarding driving around a bit to facilitate lighting the fridge reminded me I wanted to post a reason for why the fridges are difficult to light and the way I work around this problem. First of all you need to know that the fresh air intake and exhaust both open to daylight at the flue cover. The loop therefore forms a U-tube and reduces the possiblity that propane could leak into the interior of the car from the fridge. In normal operation the hot exhaust gases from the combustion process rises up the exhaust tube creating a vacuum that draws fresh air down the fresh air intake.

Of course when you are trying to light the fridge for the first time there is insufficient heat to induce the circulation. If the fridge doesn't light the first time then the bottom of the U-tube is flooded with propane which is much heavier than air. Too much propane won't ignite any better than too little propane. This is where the pump comes in. By pumping air into the bottom of the U-tube you might introduce enough oxygen to achieve ignition. How many of you have heard a faint woomph when trying to light your fridge? This is the sound of the excess propane igniting and rapidly burning off. Unfortunately quite often heat is generated in both the intake ducting as well as the flue and therefore not creating the thermal imbalance required for proper air circulation.

What can you do to get the fridge to light more reliably? One way is to plug your fridge in and use AC to cool the fridge. This will generate some heat in the flue stack of the fridge which will induce enough circulation to prevent flooding the burner chamber. You could also drive around with the DC switch selected for the same effect.

If neither of these options are available and you can't get the burner to light on propane try this. Make sure the fridge is NOT in propane mode. Walk around to the flue cap and blow across it. You will probably smell the faint oder of propane. Blow until the smell of propane is gone or for twenty seconds, which ever is longer. Then go back and try to relight. Blowing across the the flue causes a venturi effect and draws air through the U-tube purging the propane and providing a fresh charge of oxygen for combustion. If you leave the fridge in propane mode and you have a fridge model with pulsating ignitor you could singe your nose hair when the mixture of propane and fresh air reaches combustible proportions. I know, it happened to me. Of course, driving around a bit will do the same thing as blowing across the flue but my way gives the neighbors something to talk about.

Regards,

Tom Moritz

--- original message --- Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:46:08 EDT From: Mark Watts <MVAone@AOL.COM> Subject: info on the fridge

I have found it much more reliable to check the outside exhaust for heat than to try and see if the led comes on. Pump and hold the buttton for a minute. Then go check the vent. More than likely the fridge is working. Then wait for dark to see if the led is bright. Also driving around the block is a lot better than pumping the dang thing and almost always guarantees a light on the first time.

disclaimer: this is how it works on my van YMMV ect..

Anyone else notice this?

cheers, Mark