Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Sep 2001 07:11:59 -0400
From:         Gary Stearns <gstearns@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      TiiCo vibrations...some progress

Seems that most TiiCo owners have found that the engine puts a low frequency vibration/resonance into the body at about 4000 rpm. Having experienced this with many 4 cyl cars in the past, I knew that with careful fiddling, it can be tuned out. I had some ideas and decided to give it a go. I made several changes at the same time, so my experimental process stinks. I didn t figure out which, if any created the biggest improvement. Here's what I did: 1) replaced a rusted, thin 3 bolt exhaust flange on the muffler upstream side. 2) replaced all of the nuts/bolts on these flanges with the largest stainless replacements that would fit. If the exhaust is contributing to the vibration, then it's got to be as rigid as possible to resist. 3) I put rubber spacers (hacked from old muffler hangers) between the arm that supports the muffler and the muffler itself. The muffler now sits on these rubber pieces in an attempt to dampen it's vibrations. 4) Probably the most effective change: The right motor mount on our Vanagon was too close to the attachment plate on the engine carrier arm. I could see by the shiny spots on the plate that the mount had been "bottoming out" when the engine twisted under hard acceleration. I supported the engine, removed the mount and elongated the holes in the arm attached to the engine. This allowed the mount to be pulled away from the plate that it had been hitting. Interestingly, from the bottom this arm seems to have been cast in a way that allows elongation of the holes if needed. 5) Finally, while looking things over, I pushed on the exhaust header to see how much flexibility there was. None found in the header, but the engine itself bounced on it's mounts for many cycles. Ah... damping needed. This is wierd but bear with me. From road racing experience I have learned that the closed cell foam found in swimming pool float toys has miraculous properties. My kids call these things "noodles". They can be found at most large toy stores. These noodles are usually about 3" in diameter, 4 ft. long, wild colors and really cheap (like $2.00). I have used this stuff to make suspension bump-stops for race cars and for our Vanagon. As long as the foam is contained (as in the small voids in the TiiCo motor mounts) it has amazing progressive damping characteristics. It's also indestructible, it'll be bouncing long after we're gone. Use a razor to cut pieces that are a snug fit in the motor mount openings and... quiet! It's no Rolls, and no one will ever think that you have a BMW six in there, but it's a huge improvement.

Gary

[text/html]