Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:46:27 -0700
From:         Casa Gofastica motorcycle service <DBingham@CASAGOFASTICA.COM>
Subject:      I moved to Vanagon land

I just moved from Couer d' Alene Idaho to Bend Oregon. I only lived in Idaho for a year, before that I lived in Seattle. I hardly ever saw vanagons on the road in Idaho, but it seems like there are tons of them here. My brother in law told me about one for sale for 400.00. I was looking for it when I saw one for 6000, and then two or three more parked in the neighborhood before seeing the 400 one. Everywhere I go I see Westy's driving around and lots of EVs too. Three westys traveling in a caravan all gave me what I can only guess is the VW wave. Two fingers making a V with one hand and three fingers making a W with the other. But all this is not the reason I am typing.

I need an engine. Due to the condition of the Van and another project (opening a Moto Guzzi dealership) I need to do this fast and cheap. The TIICO kit is nice, but I can't afford it. Buying a rebuilt engine is an option, but then I still have a water leaker. I would buy a decent used one, if I was able to inspect it in person before buying. What about the conversion kit from http://www.fastforward.ca/ ? I can get a good used 2.0 8V pretty cheap. Has anyone done this ? If so speak up please.

I while ago I asked the list what they though about an 84 camper with low miles. My dad bought it so he and his girlfriend could go travel next summer. He is testing it out on the Oregon coast this weekend. I speedo was changed, it does not have 30,000 on it but 148,000. The original owner bought it in Germany and then toured Europe in it for a year. They brought the van to the US and then toured Mexico and Central America in it. My dad is now the second owner. It came with all the reciepts since new, and even has a factory new engine from a VW dealer. He got it for 6000 dollars. I am jealous, I hope he lets me borrow it, or sells it to me in a couple years when he moves up to a full fledged motor home.

I should have broke this into three messages, the reason I wrote was to get some ideas about what to do with my engine. David