Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:21:58 +0000
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Digifant II 'Diesel' Conversion Pics
Comments: To: vanagon@volkswagen.org

on 20/9/01 3:48 AM, David Marshall at vanagon@volkswagen.org wrote:

> [...]

David,

the noise and the vibration problem are somewhat linked. A lot of the vibrations at certain rpms come from ,IMO, resonances in the exhaust system as well as inherent resonant frequencies in the engine itself. To a much, much lesser extent, noise in the intake system will contribute to the "perceived" vibration problem (if not contributing much in actual vibration).

Don't get me wrong, I like the roar (and the other advantages) of the unshrouded K&N filter, but it does add to the overall noise and may well resonate at frequencies that coincide with that particular engines "buzz point".

Its an interesting idea to change the characteristics of the rubber engine mounting blocks to reduce or eliminate the vibrations (don't forget the trans. mount), but as the I4 install exhaust system is suspended from the engine, not the body, for its entire length, any vibrations/resonances produced there will be tranferred to the engine. Reducing the noise of the exhaust, will reduce the amount of buzzing experienced by the driver.

Some have compalined of buzzing at around 4K rpm, others at around 3200. I think the difference is due to the type of exhaust each is using.

Alistair

albell@uvic.ca '82 Westy, diesel=>I4 gas

/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign \ / No HTML/RTF in email X No Word docs in email / \ Respect Open Standards!