Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:42:11 EDT
From:         Barry Rokusek <Westfalia86@AOL.COM>
Subject:      I found a cheap weekender, also looking for conversion info:-)

Hi, Seeing as my 86 Westy Camper probably needs a clutch.... OK, I bought my camper about 2 months ago. The front right is banged up, the rear left is all crunched in. The body panels on the left side are separating at the seems, the utility hook ups are falling out, the gear box pops out of 2nd gear, grinds into 3rd, it has just shy of 175,000 miles on it... I paid $1500 for it, and thought hey it runs well. And if it dies, I can always part it out for that much... The engine runs GREAT, no head leaks at all, no oil pressure woes. The interior is immaculate, all the camping gear works perfectly. Even the fridge lights on the first try every time!

SO, I found an/86 Weekender with 115,000 that has a beautiful body, rough interior, busted windshield, and no engine. The guy that owns it got a great deal on a Westy Syncro with a blown engine, so he looted this one... I'm thinking of retiring my old beat up Westy and buying the other to turn it into a full blown camper with all the parts from my Westy. Should I expect it to be a tough job? Any pointers that could hlelp? Also I realize my old boxer engine, although running quite well, does have a LOT of miles. When the time comes to rebuild or retire, I think I'd like to put a conversion in it. I know a lot of people have used Suburu engines. Others have used 5 cylinder Audi engines, and some use a conversion kit to use a 1.8 or 2.0 Jetta. ... engine. I guess I'd like some advice on the conversion options as well as price figures if possible. Thanks again for welcoming me to the list and the great advice thus far!

:-)

Barry