Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:05:00 -0400
From:         Rob & Karen Nevin <rnevin@JET2.NET>
Subject:      VW Transporter?

I just found a 1990 VW Transporter, double cab. It appears to never been in accident or have been misused. The body has the usual stone chips in the front and the drivers cloth seat has a slight tear. The engine has 125,000 miles with a automatic transmission. The paint is about 3 years old and was done by someone who know what they were doing.

I would give the Transporter 8 out of 10 over all in general aspects.

It would need new tires soon and the brakes would most probably needing service. The exhaust and catalytic converter would need to be tested as per the Ontario Canada Emissions Tests. No smoke or coloured smoke comes out while she was running and the hydraulic valves were quiet.

This fellow is asking $5,000.00 CANADIAN.

Please advise on the given knowledge that If I buy this for $5,000.00 and then invest into a new exhaust and tires/brakes I have now a $1,000.00 to $1,5000.00 invested into a 11year old Transporter.

Is there anyone out there that knows of Transporter parts and support for future maintance that I may fall into needing, let me know. Most parts are generally the same as a Vanagon in suspension, drivetrain, engine and transmission. But maybe not????

The Vanagon Westy that I have is a 1985 and (touch wood) have never had much happen to it mechanically or with it's tails from the Vanagon.com fellow owners that have had cylinder heads, cooling problems like that of a bad dream.

Let me know, should I walk or talk.

Cheers,

Rob Nevin

[text/html]