Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:52:03 -0700
From:         Charles McGehee <chasm@ELLTEL.NET>
Subject:      Re: info on the fridge

Mark,

When I got my rig a few years ago, I pulled my fridge out to see why it wouldn't light. Pulling it out is a monstrous job and I wouldn't want to do it again. Still, it was worth it. There were all sorts of cobwebs but worse, the flame pot and drain tube was all rusted and corroded. I cleaned them up, but more importantly I modified the air pump. Dometic had a pump modification kit available for older fridges (mine is an '85; newer models may already have the modification), but it cost a lot and wasn't readily available. I studied and thought about it and concluded that all the modification did was put a check valve in the air line from the pump to the fire chamber so the pump wouldn't suck the air out that it had just pushed in. I found a plastic vacuum check value at NAPA which had the same size intake and output tubes and was the right size for the air line, and drilled the inside diameter of one of the tubes out so that both sides were the same (very, very carefully holding and twisting the drill bit only with my fingers to keep from puncturing the diaphram of the check valve). That enabled the pump to put air in without sucking it back out. I cut the air line behind the pump and installed it and while I was at it lubricated the leather seals of the pump with some light oil to increase the pressure. After all that, it lights much more easily now.

One other thing I do is to make sure that when I turn the fridge off, I turn the gas off first at the fridge itself and then outside at the tank so that the gas line is not emptied. That way I don't have to wait for the line to fill up again when I light it the next time. It's true that the little green light is hard to see, but if I cup my hands around it, I can see it glow. Holding the button down for 15 or 20 seconds, pumping violently 5 or 6 times and then snapping the ignitor rapidly 5 or 6 times usually lights it right away. I also leave the drain plug on the floor open to facilitate air flow.

I like the idea of replacing the green light with blue or another color, but I'm not about to pull the fridge out again to do it. Does anyone know if there's a way to get at the circuit board without pulling the whole unit? I haven't been able to get the stove apart.

Charles '85 Westy