Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Sep 2001 07:54:02 -0400
From:         "Spooner, Robert E." <bob.spooner@MIDDLETOWNPOWER.COM>
Subject:      Living with TIICo (long)
Comments: cc: peterb@tiico.com

All, I've got 2000 miles on my recent TIICo install. I really like it a lot. I was seeking enough power to allow the Vanagon to cruise at 70 mph + on hilly New England Highways with a pile of kayaks on the roof. I got that, for sure.

The kit is rather spendy, but the costs can be offset by selling the engine once it comes out (my waterboxer was still good - see reasons for swap, above). I also used the costs of eventual head replacement to help me (and the financial department) justify the cost of the engine.

One snag was getting all of the parts. I think Peter was trying a new method of distributing the kits (and in my opinion it didn't work too well). My kit arrived missing some parts. But, I didn't know that until I had already pulled out my engine...this left me with my Van on the ramps for 2 months before everything was back together. Not a big deal, as the van is not my only transportation, but it could be an issue for some. I finally sourced the bolts I needed and fabricated an air cleaner bracket myself. Again, not a big deal, but it did annoy me.

One other beef I have is the directions for install. Every $3.50 plastic model kit I've ever seen has better directions. A quick call to Peter B always straightened things out (and he was always very friendly and helpful on the phone - even when my questions were simple). If it were me, I'd be sick of people calling me up with stupid questions all day, and hire a tech writer to put together a good set of directions. Other than Peter, this list was great in answering questions (many of which I asked directly to other folks doing the install).

The install went pretty easy. Very easy, actually. I had access to an engine hoist, and this worked very well for me. It took me a day to drop the stock engine. Another day to clean everything up, and POR-15 the rust I found behind the air intake baffle (open the area behind the passenger-side rear wheel and take a look in there if you haven't already...my nearly rust-free 1991 has a lot of rust in there...water held in place by the baffle). Another day to put the engine in, attach the wiring harness (which I was worried about, but really was nearly plug-and-play), put on the A/C compressor, alternator, power steering pump, etc. One last day to route the wiring cleanly, plumb the fuel lines, cooling lines, vac lines, etc. I also spent some time painting the exhaust with high temp paint, and then wrapping the whole thing with header tape. Seems to me, if you had all the parts before you started, you could do the whole thing in 2 weekends, no problem. I would say if you are at all inclined, do it yourself rather than pay someone to do it for you.

On the road, the engine is great. My Van is a 2wd GL automatic. Even with the auto, the acceleration is greatly improved. I can accelerate with the rest of traffic now. Even pulling up a long hill, the van will accelerate from 65 - 75, no problem. Passing vehicles on 2 lane roads does not take the 3 mile straight-away it used to. Point and shoot. My gas mileage has been creeping up every tank. The first couple were 22 mpg, and the last tank was 24...combined city/highway.

The engine does not sound stock. I kind of liked the sewing-machine sound of the waterboxer, and must say that I miss that. The engine sounds like one from a golf or jetta, obviously. It is a good deal louder than the stock engine. I wrapped my air intake with sound-deadening material, and then covered the floor of the van under the seat and over the engine compartment with the same stuff. I think that it helped. At highway speed in the drivers seat, there is still more wind noise than engine noise, but you can hear the engine. The engine just sounds like it is happily buzzing away back there, doing it's business.

I don't seem to have the vibration at 4000 rpm problems others do. Mine vibrates more on the low end. It does make my (auto) gear selector handle buzz at times. This is annoying, and I've got to look into how to make this stop. The engine vibration on the whole is more than the stock engine, for sure. I'm quite used to it now, but it was very noticeable at first.

One thing that I've found is that you can feel the engine bounce in it's mounts. When you go over a bump, or dip in the road. You can actually feel the engine bounce, like a big fat guy is jumping on your bumper. I've seen a couple of suggestions about reducing vibration by stuffing foam in the motor mount voids to damp the frequency. I'm going to try this to see if it would reduce the bounce.

All in all, the engine has fully met my expectations. I would recommend the conversion, and TIICo, to anyone. Email with any questions. And if you are in Southern NE and want to see one, come on over. I live in East Haddam, CT.

Bob Spooner Environmental Engineer Middletown Generating Station Middletown, CT