Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Sep 2001 22:59:43 -0700
From:         Tricia Timmermans <photo-j@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Vegemite, Propane filling, Mosquito nets

I recently bought an '87 Silver/grey as yet unnamed Westfalia, and love it. I've been reading the owners list emails, and am surprised at the attention Vegemite is getting. I was reared on Vegemite and lettuce sandwiches, the taste and smell of which still press enormous memory buttons. Both Vegemite and Marmite are made from a waste product from beer, which could explain why 99% of Australians are hooked on it from an early age. Here's a bit I found on http://cstl-cla.semo.edu/zeller/vegmite.htm that may be of interest to Vanagon owners: "An article in the Toledo Blade published on 23 January 1987 reported back from Perth to America that Vegemite has 'the thick consistency of axle grease'. The reporter, Steve Pollick, Toledo Blade's Outdoors Editor, continues: It smells like a can of rusty nails, and tastes salty and yeasty--at best--or maybe like a bloody lip or an inadvertently bitten tongue. It definitely is an acquired taste, yet 15 million Australians consume something like 4,500 tons of it a year . . . Now the stuff supposedly can be found in 9 out of 10 Australian households.

In Canada, you'll find Vegemite in the import section of most large supermarkets.

I have a question: Recently, when I pulled in to two propane filling stations in the Victoria British Columbia area, neither attendant could fill the propane tank under my Westfalia. I was told that the angle was wrong, and they couldn't fit the nozzle to the "tap." They suggested jacking up the van to allow for better access for the filler hose. Has anyone else had this problem, and does anyone know of a station in this area that will fill my propane tank, sans fuss and bother? Here's a tip for repairing a mosquito net: There was a large horizontal rip in the front pop-top mosquito net. I cut the net out, leaving an inch of old netting all the way around. I used the ripped piece as a pattern to cut a new piece of netting, adding one inch on all sides (cost about $4.00 Cdn, i.e. nothing), then, standing in the van with the top up, hand stitched it in place (two rows of stitching, with the old net turned back once) . Looks perfect. And there are no worries about glue breaking down, etc.

As this is my first visit, I'll include a link to a photo of my van on its inaugural trip: http://www.photo-j.com/westfalia.htm Nice to join the list. Cheers Tricia T. _______________________ '87 Westfalia GL, Victoria BC www.photo-j.com

[text/html]