Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Sep 2001 08:04:44 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Northeast VW Camping events trip report.
Comments: To: vanagon@egroups.com, limbolist@egroups.com, info@westfalia.qc.ca
Comments: cc: Phil & Barbara Blanchfield <techniware@home.com>,
          Peter Cameron <peterc@istar.ca>,
          Alex & Jackie Farmer <coffeeclassics@hotmail.com>,
          Hill Goldberg <Hilliard_Goldberg@ocdsb.edu.on.ca>,
          Tom & Dot Hewit <tomhewitt@sympatico.ca>

I'm back, safe and sound, after putting on 3000 trouble free km on our '87 Westy. We got into Shawinigan Falls Friday September 07 and found ourselves in paradise. The tree covered campgrounds "Parc des Chutes Shawinigan" on Melville Island in the Sainte-Maurice River was within walking distance of downtown Shawinigan so we had nature at our camper doors and access to supplies without moving the vehicle. PERFECT ! VW vans of all persuasions were already there and kept rolling in through Saturday evening. When the final count was tallied late Saturday evening there were just over 400. A mere 75 less that at last years event in Omerville. No idea why as the weather was perfect, just like the middle of July, hot and humid, maybe it was due to the location being a bit off the beaten trail. I saw many folks jumping in the river for early morning swims with the steam rising from the surface as the sun came up and warmed the surroundings. Saturday night under the Big Top we all gathered for dining, door prizes and music until way after midnight. The IWCCC's Camping Car Club Band played a wide selection of music but when they got into renditions of CCR's Proud Mary, etc., I went nuts and Rita and I were up dancing just like years ago. The 50-50 draw of some $700 went to some lucky camper other that Rita or I. Better luck next time ! I had given ten <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm">BusFusion</A> T-shirts as door prizes and Sunday they were in evidence all through the campgrounds. There was much interest in BusFusion and we expect an even larger gathering for BusFusion 2002, so make your plans now. Sunday, at 9 am a mass was held under the Big Top followed by the general annual meeting of the <A HREF="http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/CIW_English.asp">IWCCC</A> were one of the items discussed is of importance to all of you reading this. In the summer of 2003 the IWCCC is attempting to organise a week long VW Camper camping event on Madeline Island in the Gulf of St. Lawrence off the coast of Prince Edward Island (get your maps out and you will see why this is interesting) for the clubs 10th anniversary. They would like to break their own Guinness Record, <A HREF="http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/record_catagories/recordhome.asp?RecordID=55892">Guinness World Records. - Record Home Page</A>, of 500 VW camper vans and an event. So make your plans now and let the IWCCC know of your intentions to participate ! We stayed in Shawinigan through Sunday evening taking the one hour boat tour on the Sainte-Maurice River around the islands and town of Shawinigan. It was great and I highly recommend it if you go there. Monday morning we started packing and headed slowly for Brunswick, Maine and LiMBO's Buses By The Buoy. We got to and crossed the border into Maine Tuesday just before the horrible attack on New York and were unaware of the events until we turned on our radio some 10 miles into Maine. We were absolutey stunned with disbelief. Driving from then on in a dream like trance we keep going until we got to Thomas Point Beach sometime late Tuesday afternoon. There was no one at the campgrounds except for the custodian. After finding out that our $25 a night camping fee did not include showers, they must be paid for at the rate of $.25/ two minutes as your showering, Rita got very upset and we cancelled our reservations and went elsewhere looking for a more hospitable campground. We found one at Meadowbrook Campgrounds, a few miles up the road for $20, showers included, and they were offering fresh cooked lobsters for dinner. We bought two, and steamed corn, had diner and went to bed listening to the sad unbelievable reports coming over the radio waves. In the morning after much deliberation and sadness we decided it best to head for home where we had left our daughter April and be with her if things got any worse which we were sure they would. Driving all day Wednesday feeling really badly and not able to enjoy ourselves nor the surrounding country we got home around 9 pm. It was then that we had the first chance to see pictures on the TV of what had occurred. We were in shock again but glad to be home. I believe the BBTB event was held and I hope they all had a grand time and maybe we will be able to get together at that event some time in the future. Sorry about not leaving the BusFusion T-shirt door prizes behind but they were not on our minds at the time.

Meanwhile we spent the rest of our vacation at home. Back to work with heavy hearts tomorrow.

Peace

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm">BusFusion</A> a VW Camper camping event in Almonte, ON, June 2002 '87 Westy & Lionel Trains Member: <A HREF="http://www.vanagon.com/">Vanagon List</A>, <A HREF="http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/">LiMBO</A>, <A HREF="http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/CIW_English.asp">IWCCC</A> & Capital City VW Club Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm">STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers</A>   <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html">Frank Condelli & Associates</A> or http://frankcondelli.com

Peace

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm">BusFusion</A> a VW Camper camping event in Almonte, ON, June 2002 '87 Westy & Lionel Trains Member: <A HREF="http://www.vanagon.com/">Vanagon List</A>, <A HREF="http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/">LiMBO</A>, <A HREF="http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/CIW_English.asp">IWCCC</A> & Capital City VW Club Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm">STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers</A>   <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html">Frank Condelli & Associates</A> or http://frankcondelli.com

[text/html]